• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Ditch light install

Noodski44

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2016 Limited DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
With in about a month of buying my rig I decided I wanted ditch lights. I wasn't ready for a light bar yet as when I do buy one it will go into my new CBI T3 bumper. So for the meantime I decided ditch lights are best bet for me and I'll have them for a while. Now I'm all about putting a decent product on my truck but I'm not in the market to put a couple hundred set of ditch lights. I did a lot of research and finally decided on a set of side shooter Offroad Town LED cube lights. Here's the link for them.
Side Shooter LED Lights OFFROADTOWN 2pcs 4'' 96W LED Pods Off Road Driving Light Spot Flood Combo Fog Lights Waterproof LED
Cubes for Truck Jeep Motorcycle Pickup Boat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078RKFQK7/?tag=tacoma3g-20

Now some people may disagree with the choice of price over quality and I completely understand if anything I'll be the tester of how good or bad these may be as the year(s) goes on. I can tell you though that for the last 4 months they've held up nicely so far. The waterproof is solid as I wash my truck regularly and it's been raining a lot lately and there is no fogging up or water entering the light.

Now I choose to buy an light harness on Amazon which was a little small. I used a some 14 gauge wire from the hardware store and connectors and it helped greatly. Best part the the harness came with it's own fuse.
Nilight LED Light Bar Wiring Harness Kit 12V On Off Switch Power Relay Blade Fuse for Off Road Lights LED Work Light,2 years Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZPX32N/?tag=tacoma3g-20

Here is a few pictures of how I installed them. This isn't the actual install but it will give you the idea. Now I'm no professional but this install was actually really easy with knowing basics about wiring and the ability to use YouTube.

20180603_185309.jpg

After I hooked the black wires to negative on the body and positive to the battery I put the red and black into the fire wall. I carefully cut a hole in it with a nice caution: you could but wires do be careful.
20180324_224839.jpg
20180603_185446.jpg
20180603_185521.jpg

A few pictures of the fuse tap and the switch. Now when wiring to the switch I used connectors rather than a soldering gun. Also with this harness it can be confusing with the switch as the 2 reds, green and black on the switch don't match the 2 reds, black and fuse tap. It took a bit of messing around to figure it out as you tube or directions were non existent. I honestly don't remember exactly how I wired it but once I install the blue sea fuse box I'll update it.
20180603_185301.jpg

A bit of the wiring harness and where I secured it.
20180603_185346.jpg

Picture of the bracket and lights; heres the link to buy bracket.
2016-2017 Toyota Tacoma LED Pod Hood Mount Brackets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVH6JKD/?tag=tacoma3g-20
20180317_191254.jpg
20180317_191301.jpg
20180317_191233.jpg
20180317_191238.jpg
20180526_210706.jpg

Here is some after install pics.

Sorry for any missing details. I'll add anything as I go through additional updates. If there is any questions please let me know.

@PROTACO17 links of what harness I bought is above as well as switch. You will need extra wire from the store along with connectors unless you plan on soldering yourself.

Back