• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

diff lock in 2 high mod

Millhouse

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
I have looked for a while for a way to make my diff lock on my 17 off road work when I want. My 2004 TRD off road was the "gray wire mod". If anyone has done this without to much cutting up the factory wiring I would love to know about it.

I have not heard of this yet. I think a few have tried but unsuccessful due to the complicated wiring on these trucks.

@UploadAdventure you have something similar but not this one thing in particular right?

Upvote 0
I have not heard of this yet. I think a few have tried but unsuccessful due to the complicated wiring on these trucks.

@UploadAdventure you have something similar but not this one thing in particular right?
Shoot. Sorry I missed this. Yes I have a 2lo mod in my truck. Plug and play. But I don’t have the “locker anytime” mod. I have the schematics to do it, but it’s pretty complicated because the diff lock is ecm controlled.

Upvote 0
Shoot. Sorry I missed this. Yes I have a 2lo mod in my truck. Plug and play. But I don’t have the “locker anytime” mod. I have the schematics to do it, but it’s pretty complicated because the diff lock is ecm controlled.

You say plug and play, is there an option to purchase this plug and play item somewhere?

Upvote 0
You say plug and play, is there an option to purchase this plug and play item somewhere?
Okay. Guy is out of town. When he gets back he’s going to see if he has any more. He thinks he has 1-2 left. If he does it’s mine aka yours.

Upvote 0
sorry for my ignorance but what is the 2lo mod?
Puts you in lo of 4lo. But doesn’t engage the front differential. Therefore you can essentially steer on a paved or concrete surface and not mess up your front differential.

and what @Mr. Nobody said. Great for boats. Trailers. Backing up things on hills. I use it all the time because my driveway is on a hill side. I need it to back my pop up camper into my garage.

Upvote 0
If there is any progress on the pnp locker anytime, I would love to hear the good news and where to get one.

Upvote 0
I've thought about this, but the traction control in the TRD OR is nearly as good in 2wd as a locker. For that matter, MTS is nearly as good as a locker. Better in a lot of situations.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll check out the other site. I am trying to utilize what Toyota already has in place, without spending lots of $$$ and labor on aftermarket lockers, especially since it is new truck and I don't want to mess with the factory warranty. If there is a relatively simple fix, cool......if not, the Tacomas are still an awesome and very capable truck, the way they come off the line.
As far as the technology goes, you are correct StormRnr, the Toyota engineers nailed it with the traction control and MTS systems. For most drivers in most situations, you can't beat it and it will keep you out of trouble. I guess I'm just an "old-school" guy who still likes to shift his truck and loves the feel of both back wheels digging in....... and having the option to lock them when I want. Thanks to everyone for the input. This is why I love this forum...real owners with good experience and knowledge. Thank You.

Upvote 0
I am also very interested in finding a way to make the rear diff lock in 2 hi,
honestly just for sick burnouts and donuts, cause it looks dumb when your burnout is with only one tire lol.

Upvote 0
For me, it would be great for reversing up my 25 degree driveway when it's coated/packed with snow and having the negotiate around a work van and mini van.

Upvote 0
Im trying to swap in a TRD OR axle into my truck for the OEM E locker, Cant find anything at all in terms of wiring it.
Anyone know anything?

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
Looks like this is the best way to get diff lock in 2WD, though it's still only in low range. But given how complicated the systems are in these trucks I suppose this might be the best option we'll get.

Upvote 0
I can see 2LOW being useful.

Doesn't say how it works. Do you flip the switch, then put it in 4 Low? and the switch prevents it from locking the front disconnect?

-M

Upvote 0
I can see 2LOW being useful.

Doesn't say how it works. Do you flip the switch, then put it in 4 Low? and the switch prevents it from locking the front disconnect?

-M
Yes, you push a button that you install with it. It's mostly for low range in 2wd so you can turn on pavement without binding up. It also allows the locker to be engaged.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pre-ordered! Legit smokey burnouts inbound!

Upvote 0
I have the 2 lo in my truck. One of the originals. It works good.

Mainly good for backing up boats and stuff like that. I’ve used it rarely on the trails.

Upvote 0
Back