• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Diff breather mod

Sbr7

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
So I'm reading threads on this topic, and was wondering if I can use an open element filter (commonly found on valve covers) for the breather mod, or do I need this special silver 'breather' to put on the end of the hose?
Also, is there a front breather that would benefit from a hose extension similar to the rear?
E-locker motor breather?
How many breathers are there?

The special silver breather that you're referring too is the same breather that's already on the front diff. An open element filter could be possible to use as long as it is not a one way breather. (most are, so just be wary). Honestly, though it would be best to use the same breather that the front has, and just relocate it higher.

As stated. Front already has the correct breather. I'd have to crawl under someone's O/R to see if the E locker has one, there's a weird debate on TW where people both argue for and against the E locker having one.

Upvote 0
Well thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Arb breather kit is a good one can do up to 4 in one unit
As for what needs or should be extended
Front diff
Tranny
Transfer
Rear diff
And e locker
And yes elocker no debate extend the breather a common failure for them is seizing from moisture

Upvote 0
Did not know about e-locker.
I bought the parts for the rear diff breather, to save thoses pricey parts!👍

Upvote 0
Back