• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Deciding what tires and size to go with next

Gstavy1

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
So I've probably got another month or so before I need to get some new tires for the truck and I'm trying to decide what size/model I want to go with. Currently I run 285/75/16 BFG KM3s and they've been awesome but I'm wanting to go to 295/75/16 and the KM3 doesn't come in that size. My thoughts are to stay in the BFG family and snag a set of KO2s because they come in 295s but another part of me is weighing the options of just saying screw it and sending it to 315s so I can stay with the KM3s. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7001.JPG
    IMG_7001.JPG
    313.8 KB · Views: 97
Are the mud terrains necessary? If not then there are plenty of good options for all terrains and hybrid style tires. And unless you’re prepared to cut and bash on some things, I wouldn’t go 35’s

I'd try out Falken Wildpeaks. I hear nothing but good things with them tires. I run BFG K02's rn, I like them a lot, but I'm gonna pull the trigger on Wildpeaks next. My buddy runs them on his 4Runner and they're amazing after 20K miles no issues. BFG's give issues 15-20K miles in sadly

If you are used to the KM3 grip you will be very underwhelmed by the K02. The KM3 is in a different league. If you need to stay M/T check out Nitto and Toyo and see if they offer what you're after. I don't even recommend the K02's to people I don't like.

If you are used to the KM3 grip you will be very underwhelmed by the K02. The KM3 is in a different league. If you need to stay M/T check out Nitto and Toyo and see if they offer what you're after. I don't even recommend the K02's to people I don't like.
Yk I don't hear great things about NITTO's... Which sucks cause they look beafy af, but Idk. I personally think Wildpeaks are the way to go for all terrain tire wise. If you're looking for more of a mud tire I'd stick with KM3's tbh but I'm not that big of a tire guy soooo Idk much lol

Yk I don't hear great things about NITTO's... Which sucks cause they look beafy af, but Idk. I personally think Wildpeaks are the way to go for all terrain tire wise. If you're looking for more of a mud tire I'd stick with KM3's tbh but I'm not that big of a tire guy soooo Idk much lol
Are you just stabbing Nitto because I don't like the K02? Nitto's are fantastic, it's Toyo's higher performance line. They're tough as nails and ride very well due to the tech the put in their tread compounds.

K02's are just not very good at anything other than hardpack compared to almost any other offering. I seriously have no idea why they are hyped. Every vehicle I've been in with them has rode like crap and every one of my friends I've gotten to switch is happy af they made the change to something else.

Are you just stabbing Nitto because I don't like the K02? Nitto's are fantastic, it's Toyo's higher performance line. They're tough as nails and ride very well due to the tech the put in their tread compounds.

K02's are just not very good at anything other than hardpack compared to almost any other offering.
No I just hear bad things from NITTO's that's all. I've been running K02's ever since I got my truck a year and a half ago. If I don't like the Wildpeaks Ima bite the bullet with NITTO and see how I like them instead. Idk tbh, I have never heard a bad review on Wildpeaks, I hear the same reviews from BFG's and NITTO's, literally the same. Both ride terrible with like 15-20K miles, cracking, etc.

Are the mud terrains necessary? If not then there are plenty of good options for all terrains and hybrid style tires. And unless you’re prepared to cut and bash on some things, I wouldn’t go 35’s
No they're not necessary, I've just been very happy running them for the past 40k. Excellent off-road, snow and road tire. Not once did I ever feel like I'd get stuck or not get through something.

No I just hear bad things from NITTO's that's all. I've been running K02's ever since I got my truck a year and a half ago. If I don't like the Wildpeaks Ima bite the bullet with NITTO and see how I like them instead. Idk tbh, I have never heard a bad review on Wildpeaks, I hear the same reviews from BFG's and NITTO's, literally the same. Both ride terrible with like 15-20K miles, cracking, etc.
@drizzoh @zsmith4472 See and that's the thing, I've ran KO2's in the past and they were excellent on those applications but as of late it seems like the reviews have gone very downhill. I think secondary options would be Toyo AT3's or Falken Wildpeaks, I know a number of people that run those and seem to be pretty happy with performance.

K02's are just not very good at anything other than hardpack compared to almost any other offering. I seriously have no idea why they are hyped. Every vehicle I've been in with them has rode like crap and every one of my friends I've gotten to switch is happy af they made the change to something else.
The KO2s are a great all-terrain. Definitely not as good as Mudders in mud and rocks, but much better in loose dirt and slick surfaces like rain and snow. Quieter, Lighter. I mean, it's a different category of tire. Definitely going to suck if you compare it to mudders in mud and the rubicon, but definitely better for almost everything else. IF that's what you're looking for.

-M

I've had good experience with Nittos. Ridge Grapplers are decent tread wise, not fantastic. Casings are strong and construction seems good. The Trail Grapplers are the go-to for mixed rocks and mud/snow. The Mud grapplers are also good.

-M

@drizzoh @zsmith4472 See and that's the thing, I've ran KO2's in the past and they were excellent on those applications but as of late it seems like the reviews have gone very downhill. I think secondary options would be Toyo AT3's or Falken Wildpeaks, I know a number of people that run those and seem to be pretty happy with performance.
I should add: Hard pack snow on the road is where the ATs will be better. Deep snow would still probably favor the mudders.

I would bet the reviews have gone downhill recently with all the people going from Stock P-metrics to KO2s and hating the noise, mileage loss, ride quality, etc. and never really using them off road.

There are a few sizes of the KO2 you can get in C load range. Those are a little lighter and probably ride better. I have a set of 285 70 17s that I need to swap over. Might do that for winter as the Ridge Grapplers are not as good in the snow.

I’m probably gonna try the new Toyo open country r/t trails. Looks like a nice tire. And I found out today my ridge grapplers are starting to cup just a bit 🙃 so that sucks

Back