• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Decal Removal

Cajun Taco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I’m a newbie and question may seem stupid , I searched archives and didn’t see any post about it so I’m gonna ask.
What’s the best way to remove factory decals and not mar paint?

Hairdryer works, heat it up and get an edge started then just heat along the pull line. I removed mine the first day because my wife said “why do you want it to say turd on the side?”

Last edited:
Agree. Hair dryer. Heat gun is fine too but can get too hot. Use a finger mail or VERY carefully use a knife to get an edge up, then slowly pull off. A little googone after works great to clean off any residue.

Last edited:
I've had the best luck with just heat. I went slow.
Use something like a business card to start it.
Don't get it too hot so it doesn't ruin the paint.

Are you talking just the bedside decals or a full debadge? Just in case you were interested in the latter I’ll add my $0.02. I was able to easily “saw” off the door and tailgate badges with some 20 lb fishing leader, then used the finger tip as mentioned above to get the foam adhesive off and then hit it with turtle wax foam bug and tar removal / microfiber for the residue. I left my bedside decals on. I did my work on a sunny 90 degree day, which was enough heat for the badge adhesive.

My buddy owns a body shop, he used the air powered magic eraser wheel. Took him about 10 min to debadge my truck.

We used a heat gun on the black between the doors, then some wax/grease remover to clean it up.

Hairdryer works, heat it up and get an edge started then just heat along the pull line. I removed mine the first day because my wife said “why do you want it to say turd on the side?”
I'd respond with "Cause turd things bruh" :)

My buddy owns a body shop, he used the air powered magic eraser wheel. Took him about 10 min to debadge my truck.

We used a heat gun on the black between the doors, then some wax/grease remover to clean it up.
I just noticed the difference on your photo between the front and rear windows. Subtle but so clean. V’nice!

I just noticed the difference on your photo between the front and rear windows. Subtle but so clean. V’nice!
It's a very subtle change, but mine were all scratched up anyways. Some people complain of paint imperfections under the wrap, my truck didn't have any.

I used heat and fishing line as mentioned above, I also kept one hand on the truck panel to monitor the heat, if it gets to hot to hold your hand on the panel then it may be too hot for the paint. I don't know if this is true but I prefer to error on the safe side. Someone mentioned using a credit card,,,that's sounds like a real good idea.

Back