• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tutorial Debadge emblems w/ shoe spray

Noodski44

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2016 Limited DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
1st off this may be basic and common sense for most but for anyone looking for other alternatives please check this out. Quick and easy.

So with that being said I had this cool TRD emblem
20180701_124200.jpg
I won on IG courtesy of https://www.instagram.com/taco_life85/. So I decided to replace the V6 emblem on my Limited with it.
20180701_123124.jpg
I looked around on here for instructions on how to remove these but I couldn't find anything. So I read around online and saw that it is super easy so I figured I'd share how I made it happen with stuff just laying around the cabinets.

Everything I read said use 3M adhesive remover. But since I didn't have any of that I looked in the cabinets to see what was available. I suddenly remembered that shoe protectant spray that you can buy at payless shoes works wonders to remove adhesives.
20180701_123526.jpg

So I said what the heck let's try it worst case I go buy the 3M spray.

I also used the following to remove the emblem. Heat gun (blow dryer will work too, dental floss (or fishing line) and the shoe spray.
20180701_123814.jpg

*Now this spray is flammable so don't use it before the heat gun. You can also option out of the heat gun if your truck has been sitting in the sun for a few hours in the summer heat. All I did was soften the emblem so I could slide the floss between the body and emblem. Essentially cutting through the adhesive.
20180701_123138.jpg

After I got the floss through all the way I removed the emblem. Keep in mind the glue will still stay on the truck though. This is where the the shoe spray came in handy.
20180701_123447.jpg

I then sprayed the glue and let it sit for about 30 seconds, I also rub the spray into the adhesive with a towel so it was soaked in. As soon as 30 seconds went past it literally pulled off the left over glue with my fingers
20180701_123637.jpg
20180701_123558.jpg

This took about 5 minutes and it all came off really easy. After it was removed it did have a little residual glue left on the paint.
20180701_123820.jpg

I just use more shoe spray and a paper towel to wipe all the left over glue off. After I was done with the spray and everything was removed, I wiped the bed down with alcohol and let it dry. Now I was ready to install my new TRD badge.

First I taped off the line I wanted the badge to be parallel too.
20180701_124406.jpg
20180701_124402.jpg

This was the most important part as I've been the guy to put a decal on crooked before. Once the tape was level I then just peeled off the backing and placed it on the line. Then boom here was my new badge.
20180701_124554.jpg
20180701_124544.jpg

And not to mention my new Tacoma 3G sticker got put on today too.
20180701_124659.jpg
IMG_20180701_132045_412.jpg

I hope this help you out.

Only thing I would add to this is that if you have dark paint. When you are peeling the plastic badge off of the paint, do not allow a corner of the badge to touch the paint. If the paint is hot and you let the badge dig into the paint it will leave a dent in the paint that will be visible.

Awesome write up! Never would have thought to use shoe protector.

Only thing I would add to this is that if you have dark paint. When you are peeling the plastic badge off of the paint, do not allow a corner of the badge to touch the paint. If the paint is hot and you let the badge dig into the paint it will leave a dent in the paint that will be visible.

Awesome write up! Never would have thought to use shoe protector.
They wifey taught me that. Thanks man, good advice.

Awesome awesome super cool life hack!
Another way us to use the heat gun , heat the double sided tape wait for it to slightly change color a slight browning , then peel and roll it off! Deosnt work with every brand of double sided tape some come off spotlessly clean others dont , some it just deosnt work for

Back