• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Dealer filling the tires to 36 PSI instead of the recommended 30?

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
I noticed something odd after my 15k service today. After driving for a couple blocks the truck was feeling a bit off so I checked the onboard PSI indicator. All of my tires (being pretty cold at the time) were at 36 PSI. Now, if you look at the specs on the sticker in the driver's door 30 PSI is the recommended and what I usually have them at. These are the stock ATs that come on the TRD-OR. I checked the invoice sheet and, yup, they meant to fill them to 36. Any idea why that might be? The reason I'm concerned is because I know over filling can lead to increased tread wear, and while I'm not 100% opposed to that as I hate these tires, it just seems odd that the dealer intentionally overfilled them.

I noticed something odd after my 15k service today. After driving for a couple blocks the truck was feeling a bit off so I checked the onboard PSI indicator. All of my tires (being pretty cold at the time) were at 36 PSI. Now, if you look at the specs on the sticker in the driver's door 30 PSI is the recommended and what I usually have them at. These are the stock ATs that come on the TRD-OR. I checked the invoice sheet and, yup, they meant to fill them to 36. Any idea why that might be? The reason I'm concerned is because I know over filling can lead to increased tread wear, and while I'm not 100% opposed to that as I hate these tires, it just seems odd that the dealer intentionally overfilled them.
It's common with mechanics to go around the 35 mark the tpms is more friendlier with a higher psi then a lower psi , people never check there tire pressure you lose about 1 psi a month so 35 psi gives alot of time before your tpms light comes one, in winter ever 10degree F it drops you lose about 1 psi or more as well
So it counters that
And lastly the door stick is a recomendation by toyota to give you the best fuel economy and maybe the best driveability your tires and everybody else will have a maxx and min operating psi

Last edited:
Makes sense. Thank you ShikyoX.

Holy hell! How did they respond when you called them on it?

Holy hell! How did they respond when you called them on it?
They said once you change tires they have to go by the sidewall or some BS? I dunno. I laughed, but then drove all the way to AZ from Michigan before I let the air out. Fuel economy was good, ride was bad :ROFLMAO:

I actually talked about it in this video:

I've heard that before as well

I understand that the door sticker is a recommendation set by the few tire options toyota runs on a tacoma to give you maximum fuel economy and maximum comfort . But as everybody here runs larger then factory tires wider and various load ratings the factory recommendation may not be enough , checking your tread pattern in the snow or wet tire on dry pavment or even the chalk test may give a better answer to what psi will work best for and your rigs

I did the chalk test a couple of times when I got my BFG's installed and 40 psi that warms up to around 43-44 was the sweet spot. I get the best fuel economy with even wear that high up. Crazy high I know but the ride isn't even rough at all. ?‍♂️

It makes sense bigger tire runs bit higher

Mine aren't much bigger than stock. 265/70/17 bigger yes, but not by much at all.
True not much bigger but bigger, I run 32 and have been thinking of bumping up a bit now and seee how that goes, play around with it a bit

True not much bigger but bigger, I run 32 and have been thinking of bumping up a bit now and seee how that goes, play around with it a bit

Have you looked into the chalk test? Give it a Google and then try it out. That's what I've done for years with my tires and it works out well.

Thanks everyone for this thread. I just went through this discussion with my dealer last week at my 10,000 service. They bumped the pressure up from 32 to 36. Rides like a log wagon, but I get 2 MPG better gas mileage. I didn't buy my truck thinking it would ride like a Cadillac so going to wait and see what the tire wear looks like before I decide where to keep it.

Thanks everyone for this thread. I just went through this discussion with my dealer last week at my 10,000 service. They bumped the pressure up from 32 to 36. Rides like a log wagon, but I get 2 MPG better gas mileage. I didn't buy my truck thinking it would ride like a Cadillac so going to wait and see what the tire wear looks like before I decide where to keep it.
What size tires?
I'm running 44psi

This thread got me to thinking that I’m probably not running the ideal pressure for MPG. 315/75r16 BFG KM3 at 35psi just because it is in the middle of everything. Kinda like the old school rule of changing your oil every 3k even though that is complete overkill nowadays.

I’m sure if I did a chalk test and/or cared to find the best MPG I could get, 35psi would not be the answer.

This thread got me to thinking that I’m probably not running the ideal pressure for MPG. 315/75r16 BFG KM3 at 35psi just because it is in the middle of everything. Kinda like the old school rule of changing your oil every 3k even though that is complete overkill nowadays.

I’m sure if I did a chalk test and/or cared to find the best MPG I could get, 35psi would not be the answer.
Probly not but definitely somthing to think about , possible better fuel economy, longer life on the tires

Since I added winch and winch bumper i run warm psi about 40 to 41 psi on the front and the rear runs about 37 to 38 psi warm i have 285/75/16

I have Hankooks Dyna pro AT and I run them at 38 was running 42 but started to wear center a little so dropped them no problems since.
20200308_170545_HDR.jpg

Back