• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Deadly crash…Possible master brake cylinder?

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
This past weekend a Tacoma P/U truck with 5 people in cab and three people in the bed…were coming down Mauna Kea mountain after playing in the snow…elevation 13,803 feet…(Big Island of Hawaii). Was raining on the way down…dirt road…they say speed & brake failure? Or brakes fail and truck was speeding up?

The Truck roll 200 feet off the road…killing a 9 year old , toss out of the bed, driver & another passenger air flown to the island of Oahu..rest were in serious conditions….

Today in the news it mention , possible brake failure….. Jan 2019 there was a Recall notice for 44,000 Tacoma trucks. Between year 2018-2019. Replacing the master brake cylinder ( may have been machine wrong)…. The news say this particular truck could have been one of those trucks that may have been recalled?
Not known if this Tacoma did get a fix?
Sad news…. Just beware…if you purchase a use 2018-2019 and the old owner (s) didn’t mention anything? Or you miss the recall notice?
Please check with your nearest Toyota factory dealers … it is a free fix!

It is a winding road going up & down….no guard rails…easy to go over the edge… my last tenant..roll there jeep down ,off the road, on Mauna Kea mountain ..both recovered!

Be safe….Aloha

Wow - that is tragic news.

Thanks for sharing because I'm a relatively new owner of a 2019 and wasn't aware of anything master brake cylinder related but now I'm going to check myself.

Upvote 0
Only recalls on mine are the CHMSL and fuel pump. I'll ask about this next time I'm in for maintenance.

Upvote 0
Back