• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Dakar Leaf Pack Front Bushing Fix

Teton Taco

4️⃣ Gold
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Dakar Leaf Pack Bushing Fix

I started having some weird popping noises coming from the back end of the tuck every time I backed down the driveway or turned over a drainage dip in the road. I figured it was my rear leaf spring bushing as they were getting pretty old with it being a second hand leaf pack. I had replaced the front bushings on install and decided to hold off on the rears because they were in pretty good shape.

So after tearing down the leaf pack I found the rears to still be in good condition surprisingly, but the brand new fronts I had installed 5K miles ago were worn out of shape and trashed. After some research I found that with the front bushing eyes on these springs there is a gap that the bushing like to try to escape out of, and sure enough mine were doing the same thing.

This was only after 5K miles, another 5K and these would have failed completely. I didn't want to be replacing bushing every 5K miles either as its a pain in the ass. My solution was to weld the bushing eye closed to remove the gap that bushings were being forced into. Just had to remove some rust and used sand paper to clean the gap out with and boom proplem solved.

Not the prettiest welds, I ran some more beads and cleaned them up after the picture but you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_9976.JPG
    IMG_9976.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9977.jpg
    IMG_9977.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 86
I saw this in your other thread. Are your Dakars squeaky as hell? If so, did doing this eliminate any noise at all? Sometimes I think I hear noise from the bushings on top of noise from the springs.

Upvote 0
I saw this in your other thread. Are your Dakars squeaky as hell? If so, did doing this eliminate any noise at all? Sometimes I think I hear noise from the bushings on top of noise from the springs.
Yeah they are normally terribly squeaky and It actually got rid of the squeak completely as of now, I also keep up with the fluid film applications. Ill let you know if it comes back.

Upvote 0
Yeah they are normally terribly squeaky and It actually got rid of the squeak completely as of now, I also keep up with the fluid film applications. Ill let you know if it comes back.
I figured. Mine drive us crazy.

Upvote 0
Back