• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Dakar’s

jacob21613

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
Just a quick question about to buy a new Dakar leaf pack and was planning on running a hc rear bumper in the future what would be the best rating for it medium heavy or just the whole heavy load?

Depends on what you plan to carry in the rear. If it's just the high clearance bumper I'd say the standard Dakar. OME says the HD's are for if you plan to have 660+ pounds in the back at all times. So a high clearance bumper alone won't even come close to that.

I have the Dakar HD's with just a bed rack and tent. I had the bed loaded up with all my camping gear for a week and did some heavy offroading. They did awesome in Moab and some trails in Colorado. I usually just have the rack on when I'm daily driving, and I have no complaints. I would recommend the heavy just in case you end up having the extra weight in the future.

You can always start with the medium and then buy the add a leaf which would essentially make it the same as the heavy pack

The Dakar HD pack is worth it, IMO i would just go with that. Future proof. Also with the HC rear you will want the added capacity.

I have Dakar heavy duty leaf pack with add a leaf, here it is full loaded with all my camping gear and sleeping setup and I would say it has the slightest bit of sag in the back, and perfectly level when the bed is empty (gonna build a drawer system that's always in there so I may have to crank the coils down a bit when I get that).
The sleeping setup is some 3/4" plywood and 2x4 going across. Loaded with firewood shovel and axes as well underneath the sleeping setup.
11111.jpg

Back