• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Custom drive shaft

mgmyota

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Anyone running a custom drive shaft after lifting your truck such as Tom woods? I don’t know a ton about custom drive shafts though. I noticed it replaces the two piece shaft with a one piece and deletes the carrier bearing. Looking for the experienced folks input about the benefits and possible negatives

Anyone running a custom drive shaft after lifting your truck such as Tom woods? I don’t know a ton about custom drive shafts though. I noticed it replaces the two piece shaft with a one piece and deletes the carrier bearing. Looking for the experienced folks input about the benefits and possible negatives

Well both my shafts are “new” as they are custom length now. The guy at the driveshaft shop said doing a 1 piece is common and also mentioned that he has not had an issue with Toyota driveshafts breaking. Usually swapping out the carrier or u joints and thats it.

I stayed with the 2 piece, just cause I would have lost roughly 2” of clearance if I went 1 piece. And since the truck has been on its frame, may have been the best idea for me.

Well both my shafts are “new” as they are custom length now. The guy at the driveshaft shop said doing a 1 piece is common and also mentioned that he has not had an issue with Toyota driveshafts breaking. Usually swapping out the carrier or u joints and thats it.

I stayed with the 2 piece, just cause I would have lost roughly 2” of clearance if I went 1 piece. And since the truck has been on its frame, may have been the best idea for me.
Yeah on Tom woods website it says that if you don’t have any vibrations and everything runs fine you really shouldn’t bother making the switch. And I was thinking about that possible change in clearance as well. Thanks for the input

Back