Course Motorsports Phone Mount Install/Review

K-Rob3

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#9,115
I'll let you know how mine works once I get it!

Did you get your MagSafe wireless charger installed from CM? Im thinking of ordering the same one for my iPhone 12 and am curious on the magnet strength, positioning of the phone, etc.

itsthex

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#8,496
Did you get your MagSafe wireless charger installed from CM? Im thinking of ordering the same one for my iPhone 12 and am curious on the magnet strength, positioning of the phone, etc.

I did receive it! I haven't installed it yet though, I've been pretty busy with work and my truck isn't my DD. However, I tested the magnet and it seemed to hold pretty well. I attached it to my case (magsafe case) and held it by the magnet and wiggled it around a ton. I did get it to fall off but it took a significant amount of force and I have a heavy 12 Pro Max. I think it'll do pretty well in the truck unless I'm wheeling really hard!

TCOTUE

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#8,809
I did receive it! I haven't installed it yet though, I've been pretty busy with work and my truck isn't my DD. However, I tested the magnet and it seemed to hold pretty well. I attached it to my case (magsafe case) and held it by the magnet and wiggled it around a ton. I did get it to fall off but it took a significant amount of force and I have a heavy 12 Pro Max. I think it'll do pretty well in the truck unless I'm wheeling really hard!
This is good to know, I may spring for the upgrade. I just hate having wires everywhere.

K-Rob3

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#9,115
Thanks for the update. I currently use a wireless charging cradle attached to a suction cup on the dash. It works ok, but its an eye sore. If the sun hits it for too long in the summer, it comes loose and I have to reapply the suction. I really like the look of the CM setup, but Im worried about the positioning and the strength of the magnet (especially for $90).

K-Rob3

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#9,115
This is good to know, I may spring for the upgrade. I just hate having wires everywhere.
If you are concerned about wires, I ran mine from the cig lighter, down the passenger side foot area and up into the radio compartment. I then just routed it out of the top dash almost behind my suction cup mount to hide it. It works really well.

TCOTUE

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#8,809
If you are concerned about wires, I ran mine from the cig lighter, down the passenger side foot area and up into the radio compartment. I then just routed it out of the top dash almost behind my suction cup mount to hide it. It works really well.
That was my plan, I'll probably run it up through the vent

K-Rob3

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#9,115
That was my plan, I'll probably run it up through the vent
Since I already have the wire going to behind the radio, can I run it through the vent from there? Is there any concern about the wire getting hot during winter when the heater is running for 20-30 mins?

TCOTUE

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#8,809
Since I already have the wire going to behind the radio, can I run it through the vent from there? Is there any concern about the wire getting hot during winter when the heater is running for 20-30 mins?
I'm honestly not sure, never really gave that any thought.

bonifacio

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
T3G Member
#2,531
You can do that. You can also file a notch above the trim where the flat spot is. I can post a picture if you're interested. Ran a couple wires through the top there. Out of the way, completely safe. No risk to the charging cable. Heat blowing onto the charger pad itself would concern me more.

TCOTUE

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#8,809
You can do that. You can also file a notch above the trim where the flat spot is. I can post a picture if you're interested. Ran a couple wires through the top there. Out of the way, completely safe. No risk to the charging cable. Heat blowing onto the charger pad itself would concern me more.
I'd be interested to see how you ran stuff. Seriously debating on grabbing the Magsafe pad, once you have some feedback.

bonifacio

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
T3G Member
#2,531
Let me start with I'm no expert and I don't know how much you are into wiring. Just explaining it in a simple way so others that aren't too familiar can follow. I'm just super picky. Some say it's OCD. I have a few chargers behind the console. I know I put 2 behind there. One is tapped off of the existing 12v outlet. I replaced the factory one with one of these so I wouldn't have to deal with the a charger. Even the slim low profile flush mounted ones bothered me. There is a connector attached to the factory outlet. I think I removed the connectors from inside the connector to plug onto the new one. You could also just cut it and throw on female spade connectors. Also found there are piggy back connectors.
Gs60EIs.jpg

61ukRtUlAXL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I went with NOCO stuff since it seems like good quality and didn't have some crazy name like XiangPowChikkun.
I ran the extension from the fuse panel underneath the steering wheel with an add-a-fuse to something that shut off when the ignition was off. The other was daisy chained off the outlet.
I used these. Just cut off the plug and clamps.
GC019-12-volt-12v-male-to-dual-female-two-way-plug-splitter-front-cable-cord-awg-ends-12volt-t...png

1-GC017_MAIN.jpg

I got 2 of the 12v outlet chargers. The QC 3.0 type. One with USB-C for my phone. Matching charging cables. Anker for chargers and Uni for cables. The mount I have had slots. Don't know if it was intentional, but that's what I filed off and ran the wires up. I ran them behind and on top of the head unit. Just guide it or hold it in the cutout you made then they stick out up top. I can post the actual picture when I get out. There should be a picture of it somewhere on the forums. Here's a quick diagram. Sorry for the quality. Best I could do with what I have. :)

Untitled.png

TCOTUE

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#8,809
Let me start with I'm no expert and I don't know how much you are into wiring. Just explaining it in a simple way so others that aren't too familiar can follow. I'm just super picky. Some say it's OCD. I have a few chargers behind the console. I know I put 2 behind there. One is tapped off of the existing 12v outlet. I replaced the factory one with one of these so I wouldn't have to deal with the a charger. Even the slim low profile flush mounted ones bothered me. There is a connector attached to the factory outlet. I think I removed the connectors from inside the connector to plug onto the new one. You could also just cut it and throw on female spade connectors. Also found there are piggy back connectors.
Gs60EIs.jpg

I went with NOCO stuff since it seems like good quality and didn't have some crazy name like XiangPowChikkun.
I ran the extension from the fuse panel underneath the steering wheel with an add-a-fuse to something that shut off when the ignition was off. The other was daisy chained off the outlet.
I used these. Just cut off the plug and clamps.

I got 2 of the 12v outlet chargers. The QC 3.0 type. One with USB-C for my phone. Matching charging cables. Anker for chargers and Uni for cables. The mount I have had slots. Don't know if it was intentional, but that's what I filed off and ran the wires up. I ran them behind and on top of the head unit. Just guide it or hold it in the cutout you made then they stick out up top. I can post the actual picture when I get out. There should be a picture of it somewhere on the forums. Here's a quick diagram. Sorry for the quality. Best I could do with what I have. :)
I've been wanting to do the same, as the pad is worthless. That one you posted looks like a great option. Guess I'll have to dig around the forums and find someone who's installed one. I like to read those ahead of time so I have some kind of idea of what I'm doing. Let me know how you like that plug.

EDIT: You could almost mount that new "cig" lighter plug in the glove box to keep the cables short. I have an '18, so I have another cig lighter plug in my center console. I may end up replacing with the one you posted, then find a long cable to run up to my phone mount. Would honestly probably be cheaper to run it this way.

Last edited: