• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Coolant Leak(s)

Tomahawk Dog

6️⃣ Aficionado
Reaction score
2022 Sport DCSB Manual
Super White
The rear cross over coolant pipe/plastic/tube had issues early in the 3rd Gen production.
Toyota fixed many (at their expense if caught within warranty) and the cause was the plastic would leak at the formed mold line and/or connection fitting.

They should have made it from metal BUT lowering production cost was important (BUT it cost them in the end)
They say they changed the production to higher quality to fix the issue and it seems this is the case as the reports are few and far between.

Question to all,.....
Have you or anyone you know (not read of) had a leaking coolant issue on a 3rd Gen?
If so what year and at what mileage,....?

I haven't personally had the issue or known anyone that has had it, but my tinter works @ Toyota tinting as his day job and he told me to keep an eye on it when I bought my truck. This was back in 2020 though so maybe it was remedied by 2021. Hopefully it stays solid though.

I have a late 2015 build. Just waiting till it happens

As the tubes get older and weaker, you may get sediment or debris inside that causes a leak. The sealing gasket between the tank and the radiator can also wear out, and that could lead to a leak.

Changing the coolant is recommended as it will be acidic over time and effect gaskets and seals.
Long life coolant does not mean "lifetime".

Also, I believe allowing the engine to warm-up from a cold start is a great idea as metal and plastic are affected by heat and cold temps.
Expanding at different rates and in extreme temperatures is even more important.

An easy and no cost preventive step that makes sense,..
even the human body needs time before going from a dead sleep to a full run to get "warmed up".
If not, your body will feel it sooner or later, so will an engine.

I like to idle the engine for a few minutes and longer on colder days, and never accelerate hard until it reaches operating temperature.
Some areas of the engine will remain cooler, this is normal as the engine takes time to reach an equally distributed heat level.
Plastic can crack if exposed to fast temp changes,... as does any substrate or material. "Nature of the Beast"

Coolant info,...
Source: https://youtu.be/OJZLMIl6XPo?t=42

Back