• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Communications

SDCementTacoTruck

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2018 Sport DCSB Auto
Cement
Starting out off-roading during this past year, I have found that having communications on the trail, is super important. It allows you to share issues with your truck, discuss the trail ahead or directions. This write-up is about my hardware set-up to give others ideas of a low cost option. If you copy the ham set-up, you may require a license, do your own research on this.

My personal truck communications strategy is as follows:

1. To be able to communicate truck to truck only, not longer distance communication
  2. keep as low cost as possible
  3. Reduce equipment clutter in truck when not using

When I first got my truck and was going off roading I purchased and installed a CB radio. The purpose for going CB was the license requirement for ham and I figured it would be what everyone would be using. This was the case for the first few trail rides, then along the lines someone showed me their Baofeng hand-held ham and described how affordable and clear they were. I did my research and a couple buddies and I decided to try them out. We were pleased at how good they worked, especially for the price. Over time, I have found many are using the exact same radio or if someone new was going to join us, most were willing to spring the $25 just to get a radio to be part of the group. As you can see from my set-up cost breakdown below, going with the ham is much more affordable (and that is two radios) than the CB, plus the CB requires more mounting and setting up (Must tune antenna which requires additional hardware). I have my CB in truck but rarely even turn it on.

First couple times I used just the handheld radio which was pretty cheap (see set-up breakdown below). Over time I have modified my set-up to try and make more convenient while on the trail. My buddy added the push to talk button and paired it with iPhone headphones. This was convenient as you can now talk more easily without taking your hands off the steering wheel, shifter and maybe more important, you can keep eyes on trail. This looked so slick, I quickly copied, added the longer antenna and battery eliminator. To keep radio from bouncing out of cup holder I made a holder to keep secure. My holder is simply made of cut up cardboard, bubble wrap and duck tape. I like this set-up because it is affordable, easy to set-up and easy to store when not in use.

One downside I quickly found to the 12v battery eliminator is when you stop on the trail and turn off truck you loose communications. Since these radios are so cheap, I just bought a second Baofeng and added the short antenna. This is great to have when spotting a friend or just get out of truck to go check out something.

Baofeng Battery - Pretty impressed with the battery on this radio, I figured it would die quickly, but found I could use it for almost whole day with battery usually going dead on the caravan home after all day trail riding. For multi day trips this will be a problem, so suggest battery eliminator option I described above or extra batteries.

In the future, I may mount a permanent higher power ham radio, but for now, I’m pretty happy with this set-up.

Pictures and set-up Breakdown:

Image.png
IMG_5728.jpeg
IMG_5730.jpeg

Ham Radio Set-up - VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx)

(2x) Radio - $24.14 - 48.28

BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio (Black)

Push to talk button - $16.79

BTECH 2 Pin (K1 Connector) to 3.5MM Adapter with Push-to-Talk Button (Compatible with 2 Pin BaoFeng, Kenwood, BTECH Radios to 3.5mm Headsets with in-l

15.6” Whip antenna - $16.99

Authentic Genuine Nagoya NA-771 15.6-Inch Whip VHF/UHF (144/430Mhz) Antenna SMA-Female for BTECH and BaoFeng Radios

Battery eliminator - 12V - $8.50

ABBREE 12-36V Input Car Charger Battery Eliminator Alternative Power for Baofeng DM-5R UV-5R BF-F8HP UV-5RTP etc. Two Way Radio (1)

Short antenna - $5.99

NSKI SRH805S SMA-F Female Dual Band Antenna for Baofeng GT-3 UV-5R BF-888s Radio

iPhone headphones with 3.5mm jack and microphone

Total for Ham set-up (1 Radio in truck only) - $66.42

Total for Ham radio set-up - $96.55

CB Set-up

Cobra CB - C75WXST - $119.95

Cobra C75WXST Handheld CB Radio - NOAA Radio - LCD Display - 40 Channel

12v connector - $6.99

CUZEC 12V Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter

Antenna - 2 ft - $19.05

Firestik II FS-2BK 2 feet 300 Watt FS Series Tunable Tip CB Antenna - 1 Each - Black

Antenna Cable - $21.99

Firestik Fire-Flex Cable Assembly W/Low-Profile Fire-Ring and Stud (1)

Antenna Spring - $10.38

Firestik SS-3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring

Total for CB radio set-up - $178.36

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see you got this done! You were super helpful in getting me set up with my BaoFeng gear. This should help a lot of other people too since this stuff can be a little daunting at first. It really isn’t bad when done simple like this.

Starting out off-roading during this past year, I have found that having communications on the trail, is super important. It allows you to share issues with your truck, discuss the trail ahead or directions. This write-up is about my hardware set-up to give others ideas of a low cost option. If you copy the ham set-up, you may require a license, do your own research on this.

My personal truck communications strategy is as follows:

1. To be able to communicate truck to truck only, not longer distance communication
  2. keep as low cost as possible
  3. Reduce equipment clutter in truck when not using

When I first got my truck and was going off roading I purchased and installed a CB radio. The purpose for going CB was the license requirement for ham and I figured it would be what everyone would be using. This was the case for the first few trail rides, then along the lines someone showed me their Baofeng hand-held ham and described how affordable and clear they were. I did my research and a couple buddies and I decided to try them out. We were pleased at how good they worked, especially for the price. Over time, I have found many are using the exact same radio or if someone new was going to join us, most were willing to spring the $25 just to get a radio to be part of the group. As you can see from my set-up cost breakdown below, going with the ham is much more affordable (and that is two radios) than the CB, plus the CB requires more mounting and setting up (Must tune antenna which requires additional hardware). I have my CB in truck but rarely even turn it on.

First couple times I used just the handheld radio which was pretty cheap (see set-up breakdown below). Over time I have modified my set-up to try and make more convenient while on the trail. My buddy added the push to talk button and paired it with iPhone headphones. This was convenient as you can now talk more easily without taking your hands off the steering wheel, shifter and maybe more important, you can keep eyes on trail. This looked so slick, I quickly copied, added the longer antenna and battery eliminator. To keep radio from bouncing out of cup holder I made a holder to keep secure. My holder is simply made of cut up cardboard, bubble wrap and duck tape. I like this set-up because it is affordable, easy to set-up and easy to store when not in use.

One downside I quickly found to the 12v battery eliminator is when you stop on the trail and turn off truck you loose communications. Since these radios are so cheap, I just bought a second Baofeng and added the short antenna. This is great to have when spotting a friend or just get out of truck to go check out something.

Baofeng Battery - Pretty impressed with the battery on this radio, I figured it would die quickly, but found I could use it for almost whole day with battery usually going dead on the caravan home after all day trail riding. For multi day trips this will be a problem, so suggest battery eliminator option I described above or extra batteries.

In the future, I may mount a permanent higher power ham radio, but for now, I’m pretty happy with this set-up.

Pictures and set-up Breakdown:

Image.png
IMG_5728.jpeg
IMG_5730.jpeg

Ham Radio Set-up - VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx)

(2x) Radio - $24.14 - 48.28

BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio (Black)

Push to talk button - $16.79

BTECH 2 Pin (K1 Connector) to 3.5MM Adapter with Push-to-Talk Button (Compatible with 2 Pin BaoFeng, Kenwood, BTECH Radios to 3.5mm Headsets with in-l

15.6” Whip antenna - $16.99

Authentic Genuine Nagoya NA-771 15.6-Inch Whip VHF/UHF (144/430Mhz) Antenna SMA-Female for BTECH and BaoFeng Radios

Battery eliminator - 12V - $8.50

ABBREE 12-36V Input Car Charger Battery Eliminator Alternative Power for Baofeng DM-5R UV-5R BF-F8HP UV-5RTP etc. Two Way Radio (1)

Short antenna - $5.99

NSKI SRH805S SMA-F Female Dual Band Antenna for Baofeng GT-3 UV-5R BF-888s Radio

iPhone headphones with 3.5mm jack and microphone

Total for Ham set-up (1 Radio in truck only) - $66.42

Total for Ham radio set-up - $96.55

CB Set-up

Cobra CB - C75WXST - $119.95

Cobra C75WXST Handheld CB Radio - NOAA Radio - LCD Display - 40 Channel

12v connector - $6.99

CUZEC 12V Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter

Antenna - 2 ft - $19.05

Firestik II FS-2BK 2 feet 300 Watt FS Series Tunable Tip CB Antenna - 1 Each - Black

Antenna Cable - $21.99

Firestik Fire-Flex Cable Assembly W/Low-Profile Fire-Ring and Stud (1)

Antenna Spring - $10.38

Firestik SS-3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring

Total for CB radio set-up - $178.36
I have both the cb and a little boafeng handheld for the price like u said it’s unbeatable lol!! ?

Back