• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Colorado_Taco17 Build Thread

Colorado_Taco17

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hey guys
I got my Tacoma almost one year ago on May 25, 2017 making the switch from a 2009 F150. Moving from Texas to Colorado I knew I needed something that was small enough to take me on trails while still having enough power to tow if necessary, ultimately leading me into buying my taco. I realized very quickly that once this build started it would be very hard to stop, and I still see no end in site.

The day I brought it home with 8 miles on the odometer:

IMG_2384 (1).JPG

How the truck sits today:
IMG_7649.jpg

IMG_7654.jpg

Current mods: (updated 02/24/2019)

Armor:
CBI front bumper (Raptor Lined)
CBI full skids (Raptor Lined)
BAMF Sliders (soon to be Raptor Lined)

Lighting:
Boslla color changing low beams and OPT7 high beams
Morimoto Amber fogs
Caliraised ditch lights and low profile brackets
Element LED 20 inch lightbar

Suspension and Wheels:
Front Suspension: Bilstein 5100s w/ 888 Coils and SPC UCAs
Rear Suspension: Bilstein B-110s w/ Dakars and U-Bolt Flip kit w/ Timbren bumpstops
OME carrier bearing drop
ECGS bushing
3 degree shims
285/75r16 Yokohama Geolander G003s
16 inch Method NV's

Recovery:
Smittybilt 10k X20 winch
Factor55 fairlead and flatlink
TRED Pros
RHINO USA D-rings and hitch receiver
Amazon highlift jack
Various Amazon tow straps and tree savers

Interior:
Cobra WXST CB radio with Firestik 4' antenna
Weathertech floor mats
Led interior lights

Other Things:
Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover
TRD Pro Grill
Boulder Tools tire deflators
Toyota bed mat
Color matched rear bumper caps
Custom bedside decals
Custom TRD hood decal

Upcoming Mods:
Body mount chop
Rocky Mountain Rack
Wilco Spare Tire holder

Thanks for taking a look at my thread!

Last edited:
First thing I did was add the Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover. I had a toolbox on my last truck and didn't like how much space it took up in the bed so I decided to go a different route with this truck. Installed June 6th
IMG_2524.JPG

The next mod I did wasn't really a mod but more of just a delete. I took off the factory side steps. They just seemed to get in the way for me and were just begging to get damaged on the trails. Deleted June 12th
IMG_2570.JPG

Next thing was color matching the bumper caps. The chrome stuck out like a sore thumb in my opinion so I ordered new black plastic ones that were painted by the local dealership. I had no prior painting experience and knew I would regret it if I tried it myself. $300 all together but very much worth it IMHO. Also debadged the tailgate and added black "Tacoma" inserts because why not. Installed June 16th
IMG_2613.jpg

One of the more major mods I have done so far was up next. Upgraded the wheels and tires to Goodyear Duratracs and Method NV's. TBH I didn't know the outer nuts on the rims were going to be gold, and I was not a fan at first. It definitely grew on me and it is now the accent color of my truck! installed June 21st
IMG_2637.JPG

After the new shoes I took a break from the mods for a bit as I was moving up to Colorado. My next mod wasn't until July 29th when I got a sweet deal on BAMF rock sliders and installed them right away with a little help from some friends. That same day I went and tested them out on the trails.
IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2997.jpg

Woke up one morning after it snowed and found this on the bed of my truck. I guess people like the way it looks!
IMG_3907.jpg

Got that TRD Pro grill installed December 11th as an early Christmas present to myself. Of course I also had to add some gold accents to it
Snapseed (6).jpg

The beginning of 2018 was slow in terms of additions to the truck. Next mod wasn't until March 7th when I decided my hood looked too boring and needed a little pizzazz. Installed a TRD hood decal to not only spice things up a bit but also help with the glare coming off the hood. Very happy with it so far!
Snapseed (7).jpg

Later that month I also installed Caliraised Ditch Lights and low profile brackets to help light up the trails for when I went camping that following weekend. Installed March 23rd
IMG_4910.jpg
IMG_4908.jpg

Came back from the camping trip and I had these waiting for me at my door! MESO ultimate turn signals. I have nothing negative to say about MESO and his products. These things will last a lifetime and I'm super happy with how they look!
IMG_5076.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg

The most recent thing I have installed is my Cobra WXST CB radio and Firestik 4' antenna. I will probably try to make a different thread involving the process of installation as it was not very straight forward, but I ended up running the coax cable behind the tail light, zip tied it to various things under the truck, then fed it through a grommet under the driver seat, then up into the center console where the box is located. Tuning this bitch was a pain in the ass, but well worth it to be able to tell yo mama jokes on the trail.
IMG_5198.jpg

IMG_5197.jpg

IMG_5199.jpg

IMG_5201.jpg

Bit of a late update but I finally got my suspension put on! A big pain to install but I'd say it was a positive experience overall.
Front: Bilstein 5100s with 888 OME coils and SPC UCAs
Rear: Extended Bilstein B-110s with Dakars and U-bolt flip kit with Timbren bumpstops
IMG_6162.jpg

IMG_6163.jpg

(Before I installed the U-bolt flip kit)
IMG_6191.jpg

IMG_6408.jpg

IMG_6455.jpg

Haven't updated this in a while, wanted to get this back up to date. Next mod(s) after the suspension was the CBI front bumper and skids. I got them bare metal and raptor lined them myself to give it a more rugged look. I think it turned out pretty well!
IMG_6845.jpg

IMG_6849.jpg

IMG_6853.jpg

IMG_7105.jpg

Next up I upgraded all of the lights on the front end. Starting with the headlights, I chose Boslla color changing led low beams and OPT7 high beams. For fogs I went with amber colored Morimoto's. The lightbar is from ElementLED and I think this is what really makes the truck unique with its daytime running lights.

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed (1).jpg

Dig this build. I like the idea of the yellow LEDs in the low beam housing! I currently have Amber Baja fogs, but sometimes it would be nice to not have to run them in snowy situations.

sick truck !
hows that suspension setup ? is it a comfortable ride ?
looking into it myself
Thanks! So far I'm liking it, I think it rides a little softer than stock but I believe that is due to the armor that I have on it. I'm really enjoying the amount of travel I have in the rear right now, I have at least two more inches in travel than stock.

Dig this build. I like the idea of the yellow LEDs in the low beam housing! I currently have Amber Baja fogs, but sometimes it would be nice to not have to run them in snowy situations.
Yeah so far I'm liking it! It's nice that I can run regular colored LEDs (6500k) when its not snowing and then yellow LEDs (3000k) when it is.

The beginning of 2018 was slow in terms of additions to the truck. Next mod wasn't until March 7th when I decided my hood looked too boring and needed a little pizzazz. Installed a TRD hood decal to not only spice things up a bit but also help with the glare coming off the hood. Very happy with it so far!
Snapseed (7).jpg
Could you send me a link, I've been searching for a hood decal and love this one. It will look perfect on my Super White Tacoma

Back