• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Cold Air Intake?

Covinog

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Hi There,

So I just recently purchased a 2019 Taco. I'm so exited to finally have a nice truck! I couldn't wait to customization to the exterior with rims, tires, step bars, letter inserts as well as upgraded to LED fog and low beam headlights. I'm almost out of stuff to do externally, so I started thinking about performance upgrades. I was thinking about installing a new K&N Cold Air Performance Intake. iv never done something like this before, so I wanted to ask if this is something that Tacoma Owners do in fact use and make sure it wasn't a waste of money.

from the reviews, it looks easy to install and it says it will guaranty to add 10 Horse power and possibly help with Gas mileage. Also I heard that an exhaust system would complement the air intake as well kind of like.. (More Air in...… means the need for More Air Out) ?

I would love to hear feedback from other Tacoma Owners on this topic.

it says it will guaranty to add 10 Horse power

I have run cold air intakes and I don't buy that for one second.

My suggestion for any mods is to drive the truck for a least a few hundred miles (a few thousand would be better) before deciding what you really need. It's easy to get caught up in the mod scene and just start adding unnecessary things to your rig without knowing what really works and doesn't work for you.

Lastly, it's difficult if not impossible, to get a good suggestion on what types of things to add without giving some explanation about what you are planning to do with the truck. Is it going to be 90% for commuting? Then reliability would be your main concern. Are you going to put it on a trailer and haul it to a rock garden? Well that's a whole different build. Going to park it in your garage? Make sure you don't put in too much of a lift or a rack that sits too high. Those are the kinds of considerations I would look at.

My suggestion for any mods is to drive the truck for a least a few hundred miles (a few thousand would be better) before deciding what you really need. It's easy to get caught up in the mod scene and just start adding unnecessary things to your rig without knowing what really works and doesn't work for you.

Lastly, it's difficult if not impossible, to get a good suggestion on what types of things to add without giving some explanation about what you are planning to do with the truck. Is it going to be 90% for commuting? Then reliability would be your main concern. Are you going to put it on a trailer and haul it to a rock garden? Well that's a whole different build. Going to park it in your garage? Make sure you don't put in too much of a lift or a rack that sits too high. Those are the kinds of considerations I would look at.
Wow, what a great reply post.
this is the first time I’ve joined a forum and asked questions. And it makes complete sense to add explanations of what Im wanting to do with the new truck.
I will take your advise and wait a bit to see how the truck does for the first few thousand miles, then see whats what.
thanks for the info

Wow, what a great reply post.
this is the first time I’ve joined a forum and asked questions. And it makes complete sense to add explanations of what Im wanting to do with the new truck.
I will take your advise and wait a bit to see how the truck does for the first few thousand miles, then see whats what.
thanks for the info
Happy I could help :)

If you are taking your truck offroad I would not recomend a cold air intake, I say this because of personal experience and the design of the intake itself, It moves the intake from the inner fender to the front of the vehicle behind the grill.

Story time: I was on a wheeling trip with a couple of yotas and a raptor, every yota (no snorkels) passed through a decently deep puddle without skipping a beat, The raptor on the other hand went into the puddle and sucked water in through the intake and ended up hydrolocked about an hour and 15 minutes from the nearest paved road.

The raptor has the same style intake as most tacoma cold air intakes, but if you wont be taking it offroad, by all means do it.

The intake is already getting cold air from the fender. Maybe just get the pipe for the Intake Silencer Delete? I have that on my 4Runner and it made no difference at all, but the stock intake silencer was cracked and falling apart...

I did the poor mans TRD intake mod.
TRD filter, accelerator, and Resonator pipe, w/ stock taco intake box.

The intake is already getting cold air from the fender. Maybe just get the pipe for the Intake Silencer Delete? I have that on my 4Runner and it made no difference at all, but the stock intake silencer was cracked and falling apart...

This.

The 3.5l is already equipped with a CAI.

The K&N is cool and all but don’t expect more than sound and feel. I installed the Injen Evolution intake and I’m happy with it. It sounds good and throttle FEEL has improved. But I have long abandoned the idea that you’ll gain hp or torque with an aftermarket CAI. I avoid K&N because all of their filters require oil. If you over-oil the filter (many people do) then that oil will cake the mass airflow sensor and throw codes. They are phenomenal intake systems, so long as you do not over oil.

As for water danger with a CAI: if you’re pulling water into your intake through the fender then chances are you’re also pulling water into your transmission and t-case because both of their breathers sit lower than the bottom of the air box.

Sage advice. Thank you.

Back