• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Clogged AC drain

Shayne_mcfarland

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
White
Has anyone else run into the issue of their AC drain getting clogged up? I started noticing a foul odor coming from my dash vents whenever I have the ac on, and decided to investigate it today as I was getting ready to do the ac drain mod. I started my truck and cranked the ac to full blast and let it run for a few minutes while watching the drain hose to see if anything was coming out, and it appears to be totally clogged. (I assume it was from mud splashing up and finding its way into the tube). Any tips on how to safely remove the debris?

Has anyone else run into the issue of their AC drain getting clogged up? I started noticing a foul odor coming from my dash vents whenever I have the ac on, and decided to investigate it today as I was getting ready to do the ac drain mod. I started my truck and cranked the ac to full blast and let it run for a few minutes while watching the drain hose to see if anything was coming out, and it appears to be totally clogged. (I assume it was from mud splashing up and finding its way into the tube). Any tips on how to safely remove the debris?
If I'm not mistaken I believe it goes through the fire wall and comes out passenger side near the center console . Just follow to its end point pull it off carefully and blow it it out if I have time tomorrow I'll take a look at mine and post some pics up

Upvote 0
If I'm not mistaken I believe it goes through the fire wall and comes out passenger side near the center console . Just follow to its end point pull it off carefully and blow it it out if I have time tomorrow I'll take a look at mine and post some pics up

Any updates? I started to notice the same smell thought maybe cabin air filter and air filter must be dirty, but I also need to do the mod so I’ll have to take a look at all three :sneaky:

Upvote 0
Its all Toyota’s, somehow they don’t know how to fix the issue. I’ve had the same problem on our Tundra, 4Runner, RAV4, 2nd gen Taco and my buddies Corolla. It’s something in Toyota’s system.

The resolution we’ve discovered over the years is run the fan on high without the AC on for like 5-10 minutes and that way it dries out the vents and system. Then shut off the truck and the next you start up the AC it won’t be so bad.

Not a fix, but something to help

Upvote 0
I’ve had this crappy smell issue in my truck as well. I never had the issue on the previous 6 Toyota trucks I’ve owned. One thing I noticed is that every time I shut the truck off and turn it back on, the ac is on recycling air versus outside air. Even if I had been previously pulling air from outside when I last ran the truck, once it has been turned off and back on, it defaults to recycled air. Pulling fresh air from the outside is better for the system as it will more consistently dry the air, forcing moisture out the vent tube and keeping it clear. If you run recycled air all the time, you’re more likely to end up with a clogged tube. Little bugs, spiders, bits of dirt and debris tend to end up in those tubes if there’s not a constant flow coming from them. I now tend to run fresh air on mine unless I’m sitting next to a smoker or a big diesel in traffic or something.

Upvote 0
Back