• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Check ABS and 2wd to 4wd mode change failure messages

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
It snowed yesterday, probably less than 1.5”, but it did make driving very slippery. After a few hours of driving in it, I think I busted my truck.

E8870F2D-8762-40A2-8E19-94CBD28BAEDC.jpeg

6354C0C2-FC27-49E8-8030-5C8E2543BA55.jpeg

The truck being unable to switch into 4wd is especially concerning and not something I’ve heard of until now. Could these two things even be related? They don’t seem like they would be to me.

I’ll call Toyota first thing Monday morning to get the truck in.

As with a lot of mechanical problems I’ve had on my trucks over the years, both of these issues seem to have magically resolved themselves over night.

I wonder if snow and/or ice in a certain area under the truck was causing this. If it was, that’s a not-so-great flaw. Plenty of people are regularly in the snow in below freezing temps. This really isn’t something that should be happening. Especially since the electronic loss of 4wd can be the difference of being stranded or getting home.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
Upvote 0
I have a 2016 Toyota tacoma TRD sport. I ordered a Add for the front differential and was wanting to know if the shift fork was already positioned for installation. Thank you

Upvote 0
When it gets cold sh*t seems to start freaking out, Ill see how my truck behaves in 20 degree weather when I go to the GA Traverse
(My truck is used to 90 degrees and 75 on cold days lol)

Upvote 0
plus, check your terminal positive battery wiring. especially if you have installed some after market lights, if the ground wire is loose. it will give you the brake error, and 4 wd error

Upvote 0
plus, check your terminal positive battery wiring. especially if you have installed some after market lights, if the ground wire is loose. it will give you the brake error, and 4 wd error
That’s actually something that I dealt with recently too. Good advice for future readers.

Upvote 0
It snowed yesterday, probably less than 1.5”, but it did make driving very slippery. After a few hours of driving in it, I think I busted my truck.

E8870F2D-8762-40A2-8E19-94CBD28BAEDC.jpeg

6354C0C2-FC27-49E8-8030-5C8E2543BA55.jpeg

The truck being unable to switch into 4wd is especially concerning and not something I’ve heard of until now. Could these two things even be related? They don’t seem like they would be to me.

I’ll call Toyota first thing Monday morning to get the truck in.
Hi I had this issue on the weekend my toyota dealer said to disconnect the battery negative terminal and put it back after 5mins it should reset the computer system and every worked after that but when I was stuck I did have to pay a heavy fee to get towed. Mine was stuck in L4

Upvote 0
Hi I had this issue on the weekend my toyota dealer said to disconnect the battery negative terminal and put it back after 5mins it should reset the computer system and every worked after that but when I was stuck I did have to pay a heavy fee to get towed. Mine was stuck in L4
To fix mine, I had to replace a wheel speed sensor.

Upvote 0
Back