• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

CBI Front Bumper

They

aren’t going to be close to Pelfrey they were completely different.
Cbi just has a lot of orders. Mine took longer than expected and I ordered it 7 months ago
I'm guessing after the Pelfrey disaster happened, (most) people got their money recovered and went straight to CBI or other companies. I'm sure they weren't expecting such a huge influx of orders and had to push some people back.

Jay, we can still be twins. You are just the cooler one.

We've been experiencing similar issues / longer lead times with many of the orders we send over there - however I can safely say they're definitely not Pelfreybilt 2.0. They've had a large increase in orders over recent months and they only have a couple of welders. Combine Black Friday/Cyber Monday orders, the holiday season, and the fact that each product is made per order... you have extended lead times. One of our reps over at CBI did mention that they were planning to increase production and reduce lead times so hopefully, this is something we all see and benefit from in the near future (y)

The aluminum cbi bumper with full hoops is around 62 -70 lbs
The steel is 185 with no hoop and 195 fully hooped

Aluminum can be as strong or stronger then steel if engineered correctly , aluminum needs to be twice as thick as steel to equal the same strength.
With proper handling and procedures aluminum SHOULD not have issues with corrosion at all.
Aluminum welds are just as strong as steel ,some say they are finicky and can crack, any weld can if done incorrectly !

Now ofcourse aluminum plate bumpers COULD be a great choice will be strong and dependable as well , however this is all highly dependent on who is MAKING, are they following correct procedures for aluminum , are there welders certified etc...... it all plays a major part

Last edited:
The aluminum cbi bumper with full hoops is around 62 -70 lbs
The steel is 185 with no hoop and 195 fully hooped
The aluminum bumper with a winch is lighter than steel bumper without the winch.

I'm really leaning towards the T3 aluminum front bumper with the full hoop.

In the (Google) pic below, the part that the fairlead is mounted to and is painted red looks to be like a cover or "hatch" for the winch area. Is that panel removable? If so, does this allow for winch install without having to remove the bumper? If so, this one will probably be the one I go with.
71fe0e6f7183c70696c3c6dca2085ea3.jpg

I'm really leaning towards the T3 aluminum front bumper with the full hoop.

In the (Google) pic below, the part that the fairlead is mounted to and is painted red looks to be like a cover or "hatch" for the winch area. Is that panel removable? If so, does this allow for winch install without having to remove the bumper? If so, this one will probably be the one I go with.
71fe0e6f7183c70696c3c6dca2085ea3.jpg
The winch is installed while you install the bumper . the cover is a access point for maintenance purposes

The winch is installed while you install the bumper . the cover is a access point for maintenance purposes

Ah ok. That’s what I was hoping wasn’t the case. Still my favorite bumper. I’ll just have to wait to get the winch before I install. Maybe the long lead times will help get the timing right.

Ah ok. That’s what I was hoping wasn’t the case. Still my favorite bumper. I’ll just have to wait to get the winch before I install. Maybe the long lead times will help get the timing right.
Hopefully works out for you ,

Back