• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Camping Gear

KnoxPup

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
New to the site and looking to get info on any good camping/gear websites for my Taco. I’ve come across https://cascadiatents.com and they look amazing, albeit pricey. Hoping to get some things done on mine once I return from an upcoming deployment and meet up with any SoCal, San Diego to be exact, owners for some outdoor adventures.

Welcome to the forum! Are you specifically looking for a roof top tent?

Ideally yes. I have a RetraxONE retractable truck bed cover as well as the cargo bed divider installed right now so I can’t put one of those cool truck bed tents on without removing all of that sadly. Wouldn’t be too much of a problem if I had someplace to store it but unfortunately I don’t at the apartment I live at.

Do you have any requirements for your tent?

I usually suggest the Smittybilt Overlander because it is cheaper than most of the other brands and works just as well. The wife and I used ours for two years and loved it. I also know a lot of other people happy with theirs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCFKPX0/?tag=tacoma3g-20

1575946092484.jpeg

Just something durable and easy to set up. For now I’m just trying to gather info and started reading through many of the posts but didn’t see much about camping gear save for one and it did mention the Smittybilt as well. I’m going to look through and bookmark what I find so I have things to work on when I get back and hopefully start hitting the outdoors more. Thanks for the quick responses btw. Looking forward to putting new gear on and uploading pics of the progress as I go along. It’s all pretty much stock right now

Just something durable and easy to set up. For now I’m just trying to gather info and started reading through many of the posts but didn’t see much about camping gear save for one and it did mention the Smittybilt as well. I’m going to look through and bookmark what I find so I have things to work on when I get back and hopefully start hitting the outdoors more. Thanks for the quick responses btw. Looking forward to putting new gear on and uploading pics of the progress as I go along. It’s all pretty much stock right now
Sounds good. We have a bunch of members here using other tents so I’m sure they will chime in on theirs as well.

New to the site and looking to get info on any good camping/gear websites for my Taco. I’ve come across https://cascadiatents.com and they look amazing, albeit pricey. Hoping to get some things done on mine once I return from an upcoming deployment and meet up with any SoCal, San Diego to be exact, owners for some outdoor adventures.
I was put off by the prices when I first started looking, but once you click on enough websites, you'll find plenty of tents with widely varying price ranges. Yes, they also all appear to be identical in design and function, with different materials and colors separating some of the brands.
I just started with a regular google search for "RTT tent" and the rest is history.
BTW, I upgraded to an Overland Vehicle Systems RTT, and am very pleased with it.

Do you have any requirements for your tent?

I usually suggest the Smittybilt Overlander because it is cheaper than most of the other brands and works just as well. The wife and I used ours for two years and loved it. I also know a lot of other people happy with theirs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCFKPX0/?tag=tacoma3g-20

1575946092484.jpeg

What is your attachment like to the bed? Separate rack or attached to the rail system?? This is a nice tent compared to some others I found...

I have a CVT Mt. Rainier on my Taco. I love it, but its too big for me. I think I am going to get something smaller. I originally thought my GF was going to camp with me, but she decided she didnt like camping, so turns out I just need something big enough for me and my dog. I have my tent mounted on Relentless Fabrication bed bars.

Ideally yes. I have a RetraxONE retractable truck bed cover as well as the cargo bed divider installed right now so I can’t put one of those cool truck bed tents on without removing all of that sadly. Wouldn’t be too much of a problem if I had someplace to store it but unfortunately I don’t at the apartment I live at.

You don't need to remove the cover. The RetraxOne is compatible with Yakima Overhaul / Outpost and some Rhino Racks. Put one of those on through the T-Slots and you have your rack for your tent. That's what I'm working on now! Below is a link to the overhaul which has adjustable height and can be easily taken on and off of your RetraxOne. I just mounted my one RetraxOne but haven't installed my Yakima Outpost yet. I'm in no rush cause it's rainy season in the PNW at the moment :)

https://www.yakima.com/overhaul-hd

I just reserved my iKamper Skycamp mini......
If you don’t want to pay as much as the iKamper is asking.. I have 2 brands (same tent) that offer that tent for less than iKamper.

although I almost bought an iKamper myself.I love the dual hardshell / tent feel of them.

If you don’t want to pay as much as the iKamper is asking.. I have 2 brands (same tent) that offer that tent for less than iKamper.

although I almost bought an iKamper myself.I love the dual hardshell / tent feel of them.

And you have my complete and total attention......Im interested. Do you have a website I can go to?

And you have my complete and total attention......Im interested. Do you have a website I can go to?
https://torro-offroad.com/ pretty sure this is the full size iKamper. I’m going to ask the owner for a possible promo code.

https://desertarmorshop.com/index.php/product/warrior-roof-top-tent/ this would be the iKamper mini. Again. If you want to pull the trigger I’ll ask the owners about a promo code.

No guarantees about the codes. But it’s worth asking.

Those rooftop tents look so nice but to me it's just too much cargo, I opt for a 3man ground tent which packs as small as carryon luggage. JMO

https://torro-offroad.com/ pretty sure this is the full size iKamper. I’m going to ask the owner for a possible promo code.

https://desertarmorshop.com/index.php/product/warrior-roof-top-tent/ this would be the iKamper mini. Again. If you want to pull the trigger I’ll ask the owners about a promo code.

No guarantees about the codes. But it’s worth asking.
I'm really digging the Torro tent. I'm thinking about going with this tent because I was going to go with the smittybilt but I don't think I would like the feel of driving with that tent since it gives off almost a boat sail feel. I'm looking for something like this mainly for aerodynamics. The fact that this website gives you literally everything for the tent like awning, annex and insulation included is insane.. the only con is shipping doesn't start till early March and that's only if I literally order it tonight. No pressure right lol no but seriously.. I'm actually considering pulling the trigger on this tent (4 person) myself since I'm going to need a tent by March 6th. Any luck on getting a discount code for Torro? *My mistake I actually have until Friday, the 31st, to order it and have it delivered to me early March.

Last edited:
I'm really digging the Torro tent. I'm thinking about going with this tent because I was going to go with the smittybilt but I don't think I would like the feel of driving with that tent since it gives off almost a boat sail feel. I'm looking for something like this mainly for aerodynamics. The fact that this website gives you literally everything for the tent like awning, annex and insulation included is insane.. the only con is shipping doesn't start till early March and that's only if I literally order it tonight. No pressure right lol no but seriously.. I'm actually considering pulling the trigger on this tent (4 person) myself since I'm going to need a tent by March 6th. Any luck on getting a discount code for Torro? *My mistake I actually have until Friday, the 31st, to order it and have it delivered to me early March.
Having had the Smittybilt myself, my only complaint with it was the parachute effect while driving. This happens with any soft cover tent, and isn’t a big deal, but it looks stupid. Obviously if you get the iKamper, that won’t be happening.

View attachment 18365

Lemme shoot them a message right now

Sent you a PM with your code!!!

Can I hijack this thread to ask about awnings? Going to be getting an upTOP access cab rack, so something about 4' mounted to the rack. ARB has a 4x8' I was looking at but was wondering if there was something else that folded up small with more coverage.

The plan is to sleep in the bed under my Softopper, I was thinking of something like a Slumberjack Roadhouse screen tarp to attach to the back of the rack and provide additional rain protection and bug screen.

Can I hijack this thread to ask about awnings? Going to be getting an upTOP access cab rack, so something about 4' mounted to the rack. ARB has a 4x8' I was looking at but was wondering if there was something else that folded up small with more coverage.

The plan is to sleep in the bed under my Softopper, I was thinking of something like a Slumberjack Roadhouse screen tarp to attach to the back of the rack and provide additional rain protection and bug screen.
$10 mosquito net from academy
52D50252-31F0-43FF-8C6C-95758CBD070D.jpeg

Back