• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

camper shell vs RTT/ bedrack system

Tacobeltran

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
not sure if theres a thread for this already but just wanted to get opinions on which one would be better to go with. camper shell or rtt. considering weight, convenience, utility, I know it depends on me too but wanna find out who went from what and why. camper>rtt // rtt>camper

The decision is definitely based on personal preference and intended usage. That said we went with a shell. I use my bed a lot for work, however all my stuff needs to be secure from the elements. Then when we camp the bed/shell with the windoors provides a lot of versatility in camp and on the trail. The trade off is definitely weight as the shell isn't exactly light. That said I haven't had any real issue off-road with it yet and am still quite content with our setup. There are a few setups out there I consider upgrading to, but nothing that's made me seriously consider pulling the trigger yet.

Thanks for the reply. might just do both setups if I cant make up my mind :unsure:

not sure if theres a thread for this already but just wanted to get opinions on which one would be better to go with. camper shell or rtt. considering weight, convenience, utility, I know it depends on me too but wanna find out who went from what and why. camper>rtt // rtt>camper

One thing to consider would be the wind drag from the RTT. I have never had a RTT with a camper shell, but I can imagine the RTT would be very exposed which would increase the wind drag while driving. Just something to consider.

@Truck Brigade thanks. I think I might try an rtt with either @Victory4x4 or rci rack. I like both those setups. think I might just start with smitty built or an explorer tepui. my wife and I camp a lot and have been using a bed tent setup but takes a bit of time to teardown and setup.

I have had a steel roof height rack for about 6 months and then switched to a cap. Definitely prefer my cap.

-I like that my stuff is locked up (had a few things stolen out of my box on a few of my road trips)
-I have slept several times in my cap and it works awesome. Even my 6'4 husband has a good sleep in there (I have a long bed)
-Find I have more options for loading things up for long trips because I have the roof and the cap I can load up.

I was worried I wouldn't like it but am very glad I did. Of course it wasn't cheap, especially because we did a full prinsu roof rack but I am very happy with it. Once its not -30 out I will actually build in a bed a few things.

Attachments

• TruckMoab2018-004.jpg
    TruckMoab2018-004.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 271
  • untitled2018-028.JPG
    untitled2018-028.JPG
    543.5 KB · Views: 293
that's an awesome truck. still considering getting the bed cap. that is a thing to consider regarding not getting your stuff stolen. thanks for the info. very useful!

What kinds of lifts are you all using on your setups with camper shell and Rtt? My Truck has Bilstein 5100s all around but its already sagging in the back. I usually run a drawer system with my dogs in the back. I am looking to to add a RTT to my camper shell but know I will need to upgrade the suspension beforehand.

What kinds of lifts are you all using on your setups with camper shell and Rtt? My Truck has Bilstein 5100s all around but its already sagging in the back. I usually run a drawer system with my dogs in the back. I am looking to to add a RTT to my camper shell but know I will need to upgrade the suspension beforehand.
@DobinsonsUSA get their leaf pack you can see on @Tyler 's truck how well it handles the extra weight. I got the dakaar with add a leaf and fuck is it loud and when I was loaded up to go camping it sometimes would sit a little more sagging in the back at the beginning of the trip so I was always the first to use their firewood so I could get rid of that weight. Since I sold the cap and rtt I got like an inch of lift in the back which isn't great for saying how well dakaar's handle weight.

@DobinsonsUSA get their leaf pack you can see on @Tyler 's truck how well it handles the extra weight. I got the dakaar with add a leaf and fuck is it loud and when I was loaded up to go camping it sometimes would sit a little more sagging in the back at the beginning of the trip so I was always the first to use their firewood so I could get rid of that weight. Since I sold the cap and rtt I got like an inch of lift in the back which isn't great for saying how well dakaar's handle weight.
This.

Emphasis on not getting the Dakar pack.

My ideal setup would be a softoppper with a rack over it. Only downside here is that a RTT can't sit flush with the roof rack.

But I definitely need the coverage of a topper since I live in FL and it rains basically every day.

I don't think there is an ideal setup. I think everyone has different needs which dictate which option they choose. I personally have used both an rtt with rack (current setup) and I also have a truck cap (Leer 122). I prefer the rtt mostly because the tent offers me more space for sleeping and allows me to have room for my kids in the tent. I mounted my tent pretty low because I didn't want there to be a lot of drag coming from the tent. the truck cap is nice though because you don't have to do any setup if you're sleeping in it. Just climb in. I also prefer the tent because it is far less claustrophobic than the cap. I'm a tall guy and its cramped in a truck cap.

Back