• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Pre-Purchase Question CaliRaised Leadlamps

Smitty

6️⃣ Aficionado
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR AC Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
Sooo I may be dumb, but what's the difference between "Alpha Black" and "Black"? Why is one cheaper?

1654517706105.png

One more question. Says I need the TRD PRO harness for any TRD model? I think? I'm a little confused and haven't heard back from customer support does anybody know if I need the TRD Pro harness for an Off Road?

Well before I begin I am going to assume
that they wired their lights to utilize the factory led headlight plug.

If you have halogen headlamps then you will need the adapter harness that’s made for any of the 3 TRDs (any TRD can be optioned for factory LED, it’s just the pros get it more often and probably are standard, I’m not sure).

The SR5s have a different headlight setup and wiring than the halogen TRDs so the harness for TRDs will not work on SR5. Adapter harnesses exist though.

I would hit up Daveeasa on Tacoma world or look up FBC harness solutions (that’s where he sells them).

I can’t tell you anything about the blacks or the lights, I know nothing about those. I just understand the wiring hoops to jump through when converting. Personally I’d I’m spending 1400 on lights I will use the OEM headlights which is in my plans, I just received my wiring today. But good luck with it whatever way you go.

Assuming they are the Alpharex lights, I'd avoid these as they're trash. A lot have warped and melted just from regular use.
Which headlights would you recommend then? I see this style all the time and it makes me want them

Since @zsmith4472 has essentially the same rig as me I'll ask what i expect their next question is (because it's mine as well) is the upgrade from a 2017 TRD to the 2020+ OEM headlights plug and play? It sounds like you might need that conversion kit @BLtheP mentioned but they have a 2021 so I'm a little confused there. Also, how much do the newer OEM lights run?

Wait, I think I found my answer here:
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPvuQG-y4os

Since @zsmith4472 has essentially the same rig as me I'll ask what i expect their next question is (because it's mine as well) is the upgrade from a 2017 TRD to the 2020+ OEM headlights plug and play? It sounds like you might need that conversion kit @BLtheP mentioned but they have a 2021 so I'm a little confused there. Also, how much do the newer OEM lights run?

Wait, I think I found my answer here:
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPvuQG-y4os
It is not plug and play unless you buy a harness. Daveeasa sells one through his site, FBC harness solution, as well as Morimoto has a version and a few others do too. I would (and did) go with the Dave one, he does the nicest work and uses nicely labeled and uniquely colored/striped wire.

The year and trim thing is pretty simple. 2016-2019 all TRDs used similar headlights with the L shaped DRL. They are all wired the same, the TRD Pros had a darker housing but still same bulbs and connectors.

2020+ started the TRD Pro LED headlight package, which the TRD Sports and Offroads received as an option, so some of them came that way and some didn't. So if you are a 2016-2022 TRD Sport or OR with factory halogen lamps, you need the Dave or Morimoto harness.

In other words, it's only plug and play to go to the LEDs if you already have the LEDs....in which there is no sense to do so because you already have them. If you do not have them, then you will need a harness. They sell harnesses for SR/SR5, and the more popular harness for TRDs.

The OEM lights are around 1300-1400 from Sparks Parts using Chloe's discount code. It's pretty steep, but that's the price to pay for an item like this. Sucks, but they sure are cool.

Here's a picture of the harness from Dave. I bought it for my 21 TRD OR that has halogen lamps. I would need this for any 2016-2022 TRD with halogens.

The only differences from 2020 and onward is that they could have had the upgrade from the factory, but many of them still did not and were wired the same as a 2019 or prior as a result.

Attachments

• IMG_5522.jpeg
    IMG_5522.jpeg
    362.7 KB · Views: 54
I personally run the alpha black novas, I'm not sure why they get so much shit on here. I haven't had a single issue with them. They were a major upgrade in output from my stock TRD Pro headlights.

The difference between the regular black and the alpha black is the amount of parts blacked out. Alpha blacks out every piece possible to be color-matched. While regular black is just the main housing.
e.jpg

I personally run the alpha black novas, I'm not sure why they get so much shit on here. I haven't had a single issue with them. They were a major upgrade in output from my stock TRD Pro headlights.

The difference between the regular black and the alpha black is the amount of parts blacked out. Alpha blacks out every piece possible to be color-matched. While regular black is just the main housing.
e.jpg

They really do look cool, Idk why they get shot on here either.. How long have you had them for? Are they really bright? Worth it?

They really do look cool, Idk why they get shot on here either.. How long have you had them for? Are they really bright? Worth it?
In my opinion, they're easily the coolest looking on the market with the quad projectors.
d.jpg

They are absurdly bright. The only comparable on the market is the Morimoto's. Morimoto's are a triple projector, they work just as good I just don't think they look as good.

They are 100% worth the money if you are upgrading from halogens.

In my opinion, they're easily the coolest looking on the market with the quad projectors.
d.jpg

They are absurdly bright. The only comparable on the market is the Morimoto's. Morimoto's are a triple projector, they work just as good I just don't think they look as good.

They are 100% worth the money if you are upgrading from halogens.
How long have you had them for? Just wondering cause I hear they "fail" within a certain time frame

How long have you had them for? Just wondering cause I hear they "fail" within a certain time frame
8 months nearly 9, been through a heap of shit if you check out my instagram. Used, abused, and more. Perfect for me in Utah winters and have held up in any weather I've put it through, even underwater.

i don't understand when people shit on products they've never bought, used, or sometimes even seen in person... Thank you!

My buddy sent me these, any thoughts?

I have these exact headlights, had them for about a year, dont know where people are warping them, I live in sfl where ist 80 most of the year and the rest is between 95-105 degrees. Ive had no issues at all
DSC_0569.jpg

Oooo. Do these have the cool amber turn signals?
Yes. They have an amber and white. I believe the color options are for the DRL. Then the turn signal is amber.
You can configure it to be one solid flash or in a sequential pattern.

Here's the links. They have short videos with examples.

1655158653514.png

Back