• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Cali raised rock sliders

ev_santillano

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 SR5 DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I picked up a set of Cali raised off road rock sliders in raw metal. I’m looking for some advice when it comes to prepping them for paint. I’m thinking sand them by hand with some 60 or 80 grit, clean them up with acetone, and spray some kind of primer before spraying them with some kind of rattle can bed liner material. Anyone have any suggestions on products or technique?

It was recommended to me to use Xylene to surface prep metal for paint.

-M

I picked up a set of Cali raised off road rock sliders in raw metal. I’m looking for some advice when it comes to prepping them for paint. I’m thinking sand them by hand with some 60 or 80 grit, clean them up with acetone, and spray some kind of primer before spraying them with some kind of rattle can bed liner material. Anyone have any suggestions on products or technique?

Bed liner is a good idea, sand and prep as you mentioned. use what ever primer is recommended for the Berliner you will use. but keep in mind if you scrape those sliders bed liner has a tendency to peal off. so keep some extra for touch ups

Much appreciated fellas. I’ve never even heard of xylene so I’ll definitely be looking into that before I start and I guess I’ll look more into primer once I pick out whatever bed liner spray I’ll be going with. I might send whatever company it is an email and ask them.

Bed liner is pretty durable, especially depending on the bed liner product you get. Some are bed liner systems like the rhino liner and have stages and they’re a bit more durable that the regular single stage spray on stuff. Some of them are rubberized and provide flex while some are like hard enamel. The softer stuff scrapes off pretty easy but usually just the area that was scraped, the enameled stuff tends to last longer, especially with multiple or thick coats, but as mentioned tends to flake big chunks off when hit. Texturized bed liner and paint is also much harder to clean up and blend touch up to. Have you checked out Steel-It coatings? They make it in silver/gray as well as black, it’s a special latex base with stainless steel pigments, you spray it on relatively thick, and do 2-3 coats, and it’s super thick and durable, protects against rust and corrosion, and it’s fully weldable, you don’t have to sand or clean off paint you can weld directly to it. Majority of the trophy trucks and race trucks use Steel-It to coat the entire chassis and tube frames of their trucks as well as all suspension components. It’s super good stuff, just a bit pricey

Back