• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Cali Raised molle bed panel

mZiggy

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Reaction score
2017 Pro DCSB Manual
Cement
Hey all, so this thread (hopefully it's in an appropriate spot within this forum) is about my @CaliRaisedLED / @CaliRaisedOffroad molle bed panel. My truck is a DCSB, and I have the passenger side rear panel.

I've included photos of how it looks mounted to my bed rail with my bags already on. Didn't think to take photos before throwing the gear on there and it would have been a pain to remove for a photo, so that's what I've got.

Reason for the PDF and some of the photos is explained below, as well as my thoughts overall, and what stuff I have in my pouches.

I have the OEM bed lights, so when I first went to put this panel in, it did not install as designed, meaning that the holes to use the screws around/by the bed outlet and cubby could not line up. This is evidenced in some of the photos I've included.

I went ahead and mounted the panel to my rail anyway, mounted my gear, and then took photos. I contacted Mr Blake Hamar at Cali Raised via email and informed him of my discovery regarding fitment, and he was a pleasure to work with as I described my findings and provided photos that he could give to their designer. I wasn't in a rush to get a fix because the panel definitely wasn't going anywhere anyway (and still hasn't).

In time, I was provided with the PDF that I have attached to this thread, which provides individuals with the OEM bed lights a means to have the panel fit properly while still retaining their lighting.

All that being said, I haven't used it (the PDF and directions to fix the fitment issue). I'm going to go ahead and say that in my experience, it's not necessary. That panel has been in there for over 3 weeks now I think it's been, and it hasn't budged one bit. There's a decent bit of weight on it and I've taken the truck off road through a variety of scenarios ranging from high speed (60+ mph) running in the desert and kicking the tail end out, washboard trails, hill climbs, getting sideways at some extreme angles on trails, and the panel has stayed rooted right where I put it on my bed rail. I'm very happy with the panel. It's very well made, it's clearly not going anywhere, and it's serving me very well so far.

This post serves to hopefully alleviate any panic or frustration someone may have if they come across the same thing that I did, as well as a means to help them decide what to do: leave it as is or fix it.

For those curious about what I have in my pouches, I won't go into too many specifics or provide photos unless requested, but I will cover the basics. Far right pouch has commonly used/sized tools like wrenches and sockets and whatnot, zip ties, a pocket knife, Allen wrenches, pliers, Gerber, similar items. Pouch to its immediate left has my gauge for airing down and it gets its own pouch because it's in a box that contains both it and a bunch of fittings.

Top left smaller pouch has one of those independent battery jump starter things. Like a power bank but capable of jump starting vehicle batteries. Useful as hell, and it's got a flashlight on it as well as usb charging ports for things like phones.

Bottom left giant pouch has my recovery gear. Bubba Rope Gator Jaw soft shackle, Rhino Strap tow strap, tow receiver hard shackle and mount. Not pictured is my air compressor for airing up tires, but it wasnt in my truck at the time of the photos. I normally keep it sitting on the truck bed floor attached to the panel by a strap so that it doesn't fly all over my bed.

Hopefully this thread has been worth your time guys. Feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Attachments

• 0422181703_HDR.jpg
    0422181703_HDR.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 464
  • 0412181956.jpg
    0412181956.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 520
  • 0412181952a.jpg
    0412181952a.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 479
  • 0412182111.jpg
    0412182111.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 451
  • 0412182112.jpg
    0412182112.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 421
  • 0412182112a.jpg
    0412182112a.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 464
  • 0412182111b.jpg
    0412182111b.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 425
  • Cali Raised LED 2016+ Tacoma Molle Panel.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 286
Last edited:
The panel looks sweet and super useful if you have a topper. Since I don't, I don't know how safe it would be to have important stuff on there. Awesome write-up, by the way. Think I should link to this as a tutorial in the tutorial tab at the top of the forum? I could see it helping some users.

The panel looks sweet and super useful if you have a topper. Since I don't, I don't know how safe it would be to have important stuff on there. Awesome write-up, by the way. Think I should link to this as a tutorial in the tutorial tab at the top of the forum? I could see it helping some users.
I've seen some posts here and there on TW by people using the panels without a topper, but I do agree that it may be more appropriate to be used situationally without a topper. Perhaps just throw stuff in your bags as needed and then empty them out when done.

Feel free to link it if you want sir, it's posted for the benefit of all. I know not everyone is level-headed and there may be frustration experienced by someone not forewarned about what I had experienced. For the record, I expect CR probably started notifying current and future customers of this at some point, but if necessary, the PDF I was given is here and available to everyone (y)

I've seen some posts here and there on TW by people using the panels without a topper, but I do agree that it may be more appropriate to be used situationally without a topper. Perhaps just throw stuff in your bags as needed and then empty them out when done.

Feel free to link it if you want sir, it's posted for the benefit of all. I know not everyone is level-headed and there may be frustration experienced by someone not forewarned about what I had experienced. For the record, I expect CR probably started notifying current and future customers of this at some point, but if necessary, the PDF I was given is here and available to everyone (y)
It's linked!

Back