• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

CalAmp GPS tracking device plugged into obd II port?

midnight20pro

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 Pro
Midnight Black
Hey all, any clue why I have a 4G/LTE GPS tracker from CalAmp plugged into my obd II port? Was this one of my fantastic dealer addons I had to pay for? I didn't lease or finance the vehicle so I'm pretty pissed they tagged me with a fkn gps tracker. Anyone else have one of these? Is it part of the Toyota app? I haven't used that at all

I've never heard of a GPS tracker plugged into the OBD-II port being a dealer upgrade. I'd yank that thing out. Maybe it was some kind of anti theft device for on the lot that they forgot to remove upon sale.

Upvote 0
So I bought the truck out of state and they told me there was some anti theft bs they had to do but they assured me it was only etching my vin into the windows (totally useless, but they did it). I asked them specifically if this also meant some sort of gps tracking device and they said no. So here we are ripping out a 4g/lte gps tracker from my taco :D

I'm going open it up and see if I can figure out where the signal was going being pinged back to. For now, it's been removed. Thanks all

Upvote 0
My company uses gps trackers for our drivers when delivering trucks. It lets the boss see where the drivers are for micromanaging purposes. They've lost a few lol

Upvote 0
nope. I don't have it yet to take it apart or anything and dealer's playing dumb

Upvote 0
Sounds like you've got a jealous ex or the feds tracking you. You might try posting about it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing/

The people on that site have a pretty good track record when it comes to IDing tracking devices.

Upvote 0
Back