• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Cab mount chop tip

Tacomadad18

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
2018 SR5 DCSB Auto
Barcelona Red
Just a tip for anyone who plans on doing a cmc on their own or having a shop do it.

When doing the cab mount chop, clearance of the body mount to install larger tires, you do not need to cut (notch) the pinchweld and bend it inside- towards frame. Simply bend the pinchweld towards the fender with a BFH and then you can use that lip to attach the lower part of the fender liner to.

Good thing about bending instead of notching-

No sealant needed to “hopefully” seal any holes between the two sheets of metal (future rust area if not 100% sealed

Cannot visually see the pinchweld

It’s a quick tip, if you have questions let me know.

I only took 1 photo of the work while doing it, I did video it. If interested I’ll post it below.

A787ECBD-8600-4DA0-9132-AAB92DF7C721.jpeg

View: https://youtu.be/jZyyAQocu2M

This is a good tip that I wasn’t aware of. I did mine with the notches and bent inward. Good suggestion!

This is a good tip that I wasn’t aware of. I did mine with the notches and bent inward. Good suggestion!

Im trying to get it out there before anyone who hasn’t done it yet, starts cutting on theirs! I know I wasn’t the first one to do it, but I think the first one who made a video on it. Unfortunately, there is no going back though!

#savethepinchwelds!

Definitely. I cringe when I see them notched before being bent. Was a process used on rear fenders to roll them for a smoother edge, but not a good idea on a part meant to not have holes in it. (y)(y)(y)

I saw all the videos on YouTube where they were cutting it, trying to seal it and then folding it. I just don’t think that it will totally be able to seal up, definitely don’t want that area to rust. I DID NOT want to do that at all. Used to do that to the fender on my Cherokee’s and that’s all fine and dandy but not on my 30k truck lol.

I just got the fender liner off and I’m like, why not just bend this the other way instead? ?

I saw all the videos on YouTube where they were cutting it, trying to seal it and then folding it. I just don’t think that it will totally be able to seal up, definitely don’t want that area to rust. I DID NOT want to do that at all. Used to do that to the fender on my Cherokee’s and that’s all fine and dandy but not on my 30k truck lol.

I just got the fender liner off and I’m like, why not just bend this the other way instead? ?
Yeah XJ have a way of creating bad habits!

Back