• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bumper or low pro

jacob21613

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
Hey taco family wanted to hear your thoughts should I get a whole new bumper or should I get one of the low pros that cut out the valence for a winch

Both are great options.

You'll want to factor cost and what material you'll be purchasing too. a full steel bumper will most likely drop your front end and you'll need to compensate with stronger springs.

Also I think it depends if you need the clearance of a full bumper or trying to get a particular look.

For me personally I was considering a low pro but now I changed my mind. :eek:

Both are great options.

You'll want to factor cost and what material you'll be purchasing too. a full steel bumper will most likely drop your front end and you'll need to compensate with stronger springs.

Also I think it depends if you need the clearance of a full bumper or trying to get a particular look.

For me personally I was considering a low pro but now I changed my mind. :eek:
Where I live It’s hard to find anyone around here for reference to how one would look like on the third gen also live in Maryland where a front liscens plate is required

Where I live It’s hard to find anyone around here for reference to how one would look like on the third gen also live in Maryland where a front liscens plate is required
While they both have different functionalities and related costs like Rob mentioned, I think you should decide based off your personal preference on looks. The steel bumper is going to significantly change the look of your truck. It does give you more clearance on large trail obstacles compared to the low profile route, but that only matters if you're gonna be doing that kind of stuff.

There are actually plenty of ways to neatly mount your front plate with either option, by the way. I know you'd like to be able to reference your options in person, but there are tons of examples of everything on the T3G Instagram that should be able to help you out too.

While they both have different functionalities and related costs like Rob mentioned, I think you should decide based off your personal preference on looks. The steel bumper is going to significantly change the look of your truck. It does give you more clearance on large trail obstacles compared to the low profile route, but that only matters if you're gonna be doing that kind of stuff.

There are actually plenty of ways to neatly mount your front plate with either option, by the way. I know you'd like to be able to reference your options in person, but there are tons of examples of everything on the T3G Instagram that should be able to help you out too.
Thank you. Will defiantly try to find something and will share the build with everyone

Back