• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Brush Guards

How do y'all feel about brush guards/bumper guards?

• They look incredible

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • They look decent

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • They look bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're awful and you should feel bad about yourself if you like them

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

M3rcury17

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
So recently I posted a pic of my tacoma to reddit and right out of the gate everyone was talking about how they offer no protection and how much of a waste of money they are. Personally I just really like the way they look but how do you guys feel about em?

So recently I posted a pic of my tacoma to reddit and right out of the gate everyone was talking about how they offer no protection and how much of a waste of money they are. Personally I just really like the way they look but how do you guys feel about em?
To be real honest, they aren't my cup of tea. But then again those people on reddit aren't paying the truck payment. You modify your truck they way you like!

I honestly wanted one for a long time but then learned that I'd be better off simply replacing the bumper and grill with something that doesn't need guarding. I can see it protecting the headlights from small branches and such, but a big hit is just going to shove that steel into the plastic behind it anyway. Now you have a damaged body and a bent brush guard. They're also not kind to the approach angle, and with my truck I have to be extra careful about the angles.

But it's your truck. I'm sure some of the stuff I'm doing to mine raises eyebrows. Besides, as a frequent Reddit user, I can confidently say that there's never a shortage of confident opinions.

I honestly wanted one for a long time but then learned that I'd be better off simply replacing the bumper and grill with something that doesn't need guarding. I can see it protecting the headlights from small branches and such, but a big hit is just going to shove that steel into the plastic behind it anyway. Now you have a damaged body and a bent brush guard. They're also not kind to the approach angle, and with my truck I have to be extra careful about the angles.

But it's your truck. I'm sure some of the stuff I'm doing to mine raises eyebrows. Besides, as a frequent Reddit user, I can confidently say that there's never a shortage of confident opinions.
Yeah, I tried explaining that my truck will likely never go off road and basically be a "pavement princess" but you know how reddit can be lol

It depends upon what you want to do. Most of the people out there want to add 2000 pounds of weight huge tires re-gear and then complain about gas mileage and performance. These trucks are not made for all that weight. A brush guard is protection for exactly that going through brush. Will it survive a collision depends upon how bad and severe. They do serve a great purpose especially in the desert. So let everybody load up with all their stuff and when they start complaining you just sit back and smile.

Yeah, I tried explaining that my truck will likely never go off road and basically be a "pavement princess" but you know how reddit can be lol
I go off road quite a bit I just don’t rock crawl. I have found with what I have it works perfectly for what I do. I don’t run into things I have had a few accidents (off-road) but it’s always been my fault. I enjoy less weight and I am a bit of a minimalist anyway. So far so good. I have an avid brush guard in the front and the rear. Along with skid plates and rock sliders to prevent myself from bashing my truck when I roll over a log or whatever. That’s all I need. If I need more I go probably get a bigger truck.
I do have Deaver stage one in the rear and Bilstein 5100s all the way around. My lift is max is 2 inches. That’s as big as I’ll ever go. Toyo AT3 and Method 701. I have the Bilstein upper control arms and so far everything has worked perfectly for what I do. I really do think people need to spend more time thinking about what actually what they’re going to do not what they think they’re going to do. Too much weight kills the purpose of these Takos.
That’s just me though.

Last edited:
Pic? Or did I just not see the link.

Pic? Or did I just not see the link.
Honestly, to sum up how much I'm going for looks over actual functionality, the lights aren't even wired in lmao.

Attachments

• IMG_20220216_204521_480.jpg
    IMG_20220216_204521_480.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220216_124955_HDR.jpg
    20220216_124955_HDR.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 67
Not my preference either. And it seems like it would add a lot of weight to the front of the vehicle. It also looks like they hang pretty low and you would lose a lot of clearance. Even if you don't off road you might hit curbs. But if you like it, then nothing else matters. It's your truck. Screw the trolls!

Last edited:
Not my preference either. And it seems like it would add a lot of weight to the front of the vehicle. But if you like it, then nothing else matters. It's your truck. Screw the trolls!
You know, it was pretty heavy, but didn't really seem to affect ride quality or milage in the slightest, or if it did it was negligible at worst. Personally again, it's purely for cosmetics. I really like the way it looks and I'm actually going for a pretty specific look, hopefully more pics of the mods coming soon because I'm not really going to talk about what I wanna do, I just wanna do it

Attempting to make your truck look like you go do cool things in the woods while not actually doing them...

Seems a bit empty.

Your truck is quite capable as it sits, and you could actually do cool things in the woods now! So go do that, and make the appearance a reality.

Last edited:
Attempting to make your truck look like you go do cool things in the woods while not actually doing them...

Seems a bit empty.

Your truck is quite capable as it sits, and you could actually do cool things in the woods now! So go do that, and make the appearance a reality.
I mean, my main goal isn't to make it look like it does cool things, I'm well aware that even stock it's capable of doing very cool things. I will be taking it to the lake once it's warms up and I go night fishing all the time so the lights will be used eventually. But right now it's really more of a certain aesthetic that I'm trying to go for

Aesthetics isn’t functional for me. It must serve a purpose or I avoid the idea.
These small trucks are not made to adapt to oversized tires, extreme lift and weight additions without correct modifications. I sized down from very capable full-size to a Tako to suit my needs. Could give fuck all what others think about aesthetics.

Aesthetics isn’t functional for me. It must serve a purpose or I avoid the idea.
These small trucks are not made to adapt to oversized tires, extreme lift and weight additions without correct modifications. I sized down from very capable full-size to a Tako to suit my needs. Could give fuck all what others think about aesthetics.
Yeah, I'm not trying to lift it or add huge tires, I just really like the way they look with brush guards on, I am going to be getting a new set of wheels but again, not trying to get anything bigger or lift the truck.

Yeah, I'm not trying to lift it or add huge tires, I just really like the way they look with brush guards on, I am going to be getting a new set of wheels but again, not trying to get anything bigger or lift the truck.
I say do whatever you want. My opinion and anyone else’s doesn’t matter. Hell you could paint it purple and give it a 25 inch lift and run it in a stadium truck display for all I care. I might even come watch that.😎

I say do whatever you want. My opinion and anyone else’s doesn’t matter. Hell you could paint it purple and give it a 25 inch lift and run it in a stadium truck display for all I care. I might even come watch that.😎
Yeah honestly, I don't really care about what anyone says, really just wanted to see the general consensus on brush guards but I'm finding that I'm really just going to do whatever I want and just mmmmmblock out all the haters

Hit a deer once in my CJ. Brush guard directed it under the Jeep instead of into the windshield. So, they do work, contrary to what the internet experts will tell you.

Back