• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Brake shake or vibration

tomwilson74

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Getting shaking after my lift was installed. It had a small shake or vibration before. Only shakes when I apply the brakes. My last Tacoma did too. Is this just kind of normal with Tacoma’s?

So brake shake upon deceleration is fairly common, but it's not normal. many times it's due to overheating of the brakes that warps the rotors. If your vehicle is still under warranty it's worth taking it into the dealership to have them check the rotors. If they've overheated they may be able to replace them under warranty. If it's outside of warranty, the good news is is that a set of pads and rotors isn't that expensive and would easily fix the problem, as long as you know that the rotors being warped are the cause. You could also potentially just turn the rotors and be good to go depending on your milage and remaining pad life.

That said you also say that the pulsating started after the lift was installed. It's not really normal to have a pulsation upon deceleration after a lift. Usually the vibrations, clunks, and bumps associated with a lift happened at almost all times after the lift. or maybe exclusively when turning to one side or the other. I would try going down the path of possible warp rotors before removing and reinstalling anything on the lift side of things. That's said it certainly wouldn't hurt to double check your work and make sure that everything is tight and looks to be holding up well after install.

Upvote 0
Getting shaking after my lift was installed. It had a small shake or vibration before. Only shakes when I apply the brakes. My last Tacoma did too. Is this just kind of normal with Tacoma’s?
Since this happened after your lift, I would check the torque on all bolts you touched. Also, did you tighten your control arm and shock bolts with the truck jacked up or on the ground?

Another easy thing you can do is grab onto the tie rods and give them an aggressive shake. They shouldn’t wiggle from just doing that.

I don’t know if it would result in a shake with braking, but you can also measure the lift height in the front. Measure from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the fender. If the driver side is much lower than the passenger side, which does happen after a lift, geometry could be thrown off. Again, I still don’t really think that would cause a shake.

Upvote 0
Back