• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Brake Override Malfunction

TacomaLG

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 Sport DCSB Auto
Cement
I hope someone can give me some info on this issue I’ve been having.
my truck got this error today while on the freeway - Brake Override Malfunction. Visit your dealership.
The truck went on limp mode and could only go about 5mph

restarting the truck about 6 times remove the error but it still has the check engine light on and the engine feels forced.

I’ve been reading some old forums but I haven’t seen a real solution to this.

anyone has some knowledge from this?

Geez, that's scary. Never heard of that one. How many miles on your truck? Were I in your place I would take it into the dealership.

Upvote 0
I think I had this happen to me when I switched out my taillights with LEDs and wired my resisters wrong. Might check your bulbs or see if their is any way it could be shorting. Seems dumb that it would freak out over something small but cars are a lot more complicated.

Upvote 0
I think I had this happen to me when I switched out my taillights with LEDs and wired my resisters wrong. Might check your bulbs or see if their is any way it could be shorting. Seems dumb that it would freak out over something small but cars are a lot more complicated.
I’ve seen this on Tacoma world but I haven’t checked.
I did put some reverse led light lights so I will check that as well.
pretty weird this will cause the truck to stop running normally.

Upvote 0
Yikes! Let us know what the root cause is when you figure it out. Good to know that messing with the taillights and reverse lights could cause ecu issues related to braking.

Upvote 0
Hmmmmmm....I put in LED reverse lights a couple years back and never had a problem. I'll also be interested to hear root cause.

Upvote 0
Ive had that same issue, it was the load resistors causing a short in the LED tail lights I installed (No issues for 50K miles), which blew the STOP fuse underneath the hood. Caused the truck not to start at all on the trail, swapped out the bad fuse and she fired right up. The truck has safety features designed into it to recognize if your tail lights are good or not to be a safe vehicle to drive on the road (silly but oh well). I swapped back the Halogen bulbs and shouldnt have anymore issues now.

Upvote 0
Back