• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

BP-51 Ride Height Adjust

StormRnr

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
I have the Old Man Emu BP-51 suspension. I need to add some ride height to the front. The instructions say to pull the coilers all the way off compress the spring and do it that way. I can't find any actual user experience on them.

Icon has a video where they crank the ride height collar down with it on the truck. The design looks the same. Any reason why it wouldn't work that way for the bp-51? One of mine has the pinch bolt inaccessible, but other than that...

-M

I have the BP-51s as well. Great setup once you get them dialed. When I installed them I tried to adjust the collar without compressing them, no luck. Even after you loosen the pinch bolt, theres just too much pressure from the springs. I bought a cheap spring compressor off amazon and stuck in in a vise, worked great. I used an Icon spanner to adjust the collar but I had to grind it down a bit to fit the OME hole.

IT's at the shop today getting gears and they pulled the coilovers out and did the ride height adjustment. There are issues and I shot some video that will show it.

1) The shock body is so big that fitting a spring compressor is a challenge. The ones you can get for cheap or rent probably won't work.
2) The nature of the clamp ring makes it difficult to do under tension. Depending on where you're turning sometimes you compress it sometimes you expand it. Even with no tension on the spring it was hard to turn.

The coilovers I got from ARB were set WAY too low. They were at 5 mm and should have been ad 15 or 20.

We put them at 15mm since the weight of the Warn bumper and winch I have on it now is a lot less than the weight of an ARB bumper with a winch.

D5C4F76D-C95F-4561-8CBB-2FEC28073F3B.JPG

IMG_5340.JPG

IMG_5339.JPG

Yeah Ive heard of some shop compressors not fitting. It looks like they were able to get it adjusted though! This is the one I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DP2CDJU/?tag=tacoma3g-20

I think mine are set at 20mm with an ARB bumper and winch up front.
Ah, the Amazon loaner tool program?

Ordered this one. Just sent it back because I didn't want to throw it together.

Might try that one next when my spring are back from powder coating.

Was gonna grab this one.

This was for 6112 springs.

I don't know that that first one would work. It needs to grab the spring from both ends not the shock body.

The second one was one I was looking at too. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS. I may need to adjust my ride height again.

I don't know that that first one would work. It needs to grab the spring from both ends not the shock body.

The second one was one I was looking at too. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS. I may need to adjust my ride height again.

I'm tapping out.
Where did you get access to a Branick? Lol.

I tried the standing red one after seeing a video of a shop using one like it. Cheap Chinese steel. The quality of the Amazon was crap. The supports bent and distorted. Again, I do have 6112's. But seems like they are close in size and stuff. I'm not even going to try the other one. Looks like you have less space between the coil and strut. Just find another Branick. Lol.

I'm tapping out.
Where did you get access to a Branick? Lol.

I tried the standing red one after seeing a video of a shop using one like it. Cheap Chinese steel. The quality of the Amazon was crap. The supports bent and distorted. Again, I do have 6112's. But seems like they are close in size and stuff. I'm not even going to try the other one. Looks like you have less space between the coil and strut. Just find another Branick. Lol.
I took it to a shop. They were rehearing the truck and I had them adjust the coilovers too.

-M

Back