• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Blacking out my racks.

TannerRay

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
what would you recommend as the best method to black out/change color of my racks? paint, plasti dip, etc? So i bought my 2017 off-road back in august that was used briefly as a work truck. it came with a set of ladder racks that you can see in my profile pic. This winter i took off the racks for a tonneau cover and now that weather is getting nice i wanna use my racks for camping and taking my surfboard/kayaks places. i’ve decided to black out the chrome on my truck (emblem decals, grille etc) and i want to do the same to the racks to keep up that look. any suggestions or preferences on how i should do this? the current color they are match my trucks body color but they are also kinda beat up with scuffs and scratches so i think going with the black out will clean that up a little

yes pretty sure it’s aluminum. that’s the best i can pull up right now as a zoomed pic. i keep them at my dads workshop since i dont have a lot of room at my condo for them but i’m planning to break them out this weekend hopefully so i’ll have a better pic then

Attachments

• C1889170-C5C1-483F-AF8C-32BFE6ADD5D8.png
    C1889170-C5C1-483F-AF8C-32BFE6ADD5D8.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 97
  • 0DC40F24-F03F-41C2-BF8B-83F6115614A4.png
    0DC40F24-F03F-41C2-BF8B-83F6115614A4.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 94
I would suggest a Poly paint personally. Poly is extremely durable and you can find pop cans of it for a good price. Would probably only take you about 1-2 cans to get some good solid layers on there. Plastidip is nice because its removable, but it is also not very durable. Enamel would be my second choice.

Back