• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bilstein 6112 notch setting and ride quality

atomiktaco

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
Just installed 6112s set at the highest notch (6) with a 1/2” top hat from ready lift. I def expected a stiffer ride than stock but was surprised how stiff they actually do feel. Wondering if anyone can speak to the difference in ride quality between 4th, 5th, and 6th notch. 6th notch obviously creates a ton of preload in the 600lb coil. Does the notch setting/amount of preload make a noticeable difference in ride quality? I’m a bit flexible when it comes to lift height. Thanks

Just installed 6112s set at the highest notch (6) with a 1/2” top hat from ready lift. I def expected a stiffer ride than stock but was surprised how stiff they actually do feel. Wondering if anyone can speak to the difference in ride quality between 4th, 5th, and 6th notch. 6th notch obviously creates a ton of preload in the 600lb coil. Does the notch setting/amount of preload make a noticeable difference in ride quality? I’m a bit flexible when it comes to lift height. Thanks
Wow looks like nobody saw this.
I have a 2017 double cab long box with 6112's up front and 5160's in the rear. I also have a set a Durobumps which make a difference.
My front end is set to the 5/4 notches on the snap ring. I did not want too max the Bills out due to ride quality and CV angles. With that being said I have read many times over that the 6/6 setting is harsh. The 5/4 where I am sitting is like riding on clouds. I was surprised at how soft yet controllable the 6612's are and for the price I do not think they can be beat. After letting the tyres down to 18 I have a very comfortable ride!
Even though the ride is soft and comfortable it is certainly not squishy. The truck feels solid when going over uneven terrain or flying down the highway. The return after compression with my setup is confidence inspiring.
I hope I answered your question. The lower you go on your preload the better ride you will have.

Thanks for the info. I ended up adjusting to 4/4 and am waaay happier with the ride quality! Definitely interested in new bump stops as well!

Thanks for the info. I ended up adjusting to 4/4 and am waaay happier with the ride quality! Definitely interested in new bump stops as well!
Good stuff! You are running a spacer on the drivers side too?

I have mine on the highest setting both sides. Lean spacer on drivers side (although is not enough).

They do settle with time and feel less stiff. I drove like that with no bumper or winch for a few months. Slightly stiff.

After a month or so it felt better but a little stiff still.

New bumper and winch it feels about right now. And I only added about 120ish pounds

Currently running this same setup at notch 6 and it’s a rough ride.... was not expecting this stiff of ride quality.

Did you maintain a leveled look vs. rake?

I did notch 6 driver Side and 5th notch on passenger side. Ride quality was way better than stock. Then I added Headstrong 1/4” top plate on driver side to accommodate the driver side lean or else I would have done notch 5/5. Notch 6/5 my taco needed either 1/4-1/2” top plate still.

Then I wanted more clearance I did the 650lb coil swap from bilstiens and notch both at 6/6 with driver side 1/4” top plate. I had stiffen up my front now. Less preload when off-roading. Added some miles to the 650, feels better and I got use to it. But again still lost the preload. Less flex 💪🏽 upfront where my fronts don’t tuck I don’t have a winch or a metal bumper. Then I would think the preload would settle more unless I take off my front sway bars! 🤔

With 650lb coils, notch 6/6 with 1/4” driver. I’m fully leveled.

EB889D37-FB92-4929-BE1D-6648EA929F6B.jpeg

176AFEDE-3FFE-4084-9E24-507620BF1668.jpeg
9D14B526-B262-4BE3-9968-68F15EC3E0EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Back