• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bilstein 5100/OME 887 combo

AZ_CAVALRY

8️⃣ Paragon
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cavalry Blue
Need some help/advice. I Installed a brand new set of Bilstein 5100/OME 887, with Icon UCA's about 15,000 miles ago. I have 285/70/17 Toyo MT tires, and I'm rubbing big time on the inside plastic. I had the same setup on my previous Tacoma, minus the UCA's and with BFG K02 (same size and wheel offset), and never had issues with rubbing, and it was never this low in the front. I'm on the lowest setting on my 5100s, and was curious if it's possible to raise the front end up by adjusting the shock setting? I called a local offroad place here, and they said not do it since it would add too much stress to the shock and it could blow it. Would a 1" spacer do the same thing? Any advice on what to do?
IMG_6541.jpg

I don’t know who the local off road place is, but have you tried stopping by The Lift Shop on 19th St and Bell? They have been super helpful with my set up.

Yes it is Adjustable.

The installation instructions for the fore mentioned kit states not to use the top adjustment groove for some models, the tallest setting.

Perhaps last installer did so and recent installer read this as your model, although not.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210117-134734_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210117-134734_Drive.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 202
The 5100 kit you designed to be used with your stock Springs. My understanding is that if you use any other springs it voids the warranty on the 5100s. I would call Bilstein and ask them straight away.

I don’t know who the local off road place is, but have you tried stopping by The Lift Shop on 19th St and Bell? They have been super helpful with my set up.
Honestly my friend and I installed it all, but had Brakes Plus do the alignment. I purchased everything pre-assembled (shock and coils already set) from Battleborn Offroad in Vegas. I will call them and see what they say. I went to Desert Rat in Tempe and they recommend I get the OME 888's for a higher front lift, so I'm considering that.

Go with a zero offset?

The 5100 kit you designed to be used with your stock Springs. My understanding is that if you use any other springs it voids the warranty on the 5100s. I would call Bilstein and ask them straight away.
I do have zero offset wheels, I had -10 on my old wheels and had no issues this bad. It's the height I'm more worried about, especially if I get bumper/skids in the future and weigh the front down more. I haven't heard that on the warranty, but I will definitely check into that. The shocks aren't too bad to just replace price-wise anyways, but would still be good to know!

Yes it is Adjustable.

The installation instructions for the fore mentioned kit states not to use the top adjustment groove for some models, the tallest setting.

Perhaps last installer did so and recent installer read this as your model, although not.
Yeah that's what I have heard from every installer I've talked to as well. When I bought them through battleborn, I requested they be set on the tallest lift height possible, and it's definitely lower than I have had in the past. Definitely a possibility!

The adjustability was designed around factory springs. It's not recommended to adjust with aftermarket. I also went the 5100/887 route. Had to take a CMC far back. You have to apply a lot of heat then hold it in, while holding in the trim, hit it with cold water to set it. Another big thing that might help is hammer down the pinch welds. I'm on factory tires, I think it's 265/70/16 16x8 et 0 wheel with 1.25" spacers. Rubbed a lot. I'm gonna try bigger tires and see how it goes.

Back