• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Best 4 season roof top tent

CJfromSOTA

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 SR5 DCSB Auto
White
I'm looking for a tent for 3 or 4 people. Two adults and two young kids. We're moving out west and wanna camp in the winter as well. What are you guys a fan of?

Ruggedized tepuis are pretty well a roof top wall tent. Though I think they are more of a 3 person. You might want to check out cvt I know they have the heavier fabric option on the 4+ size

I have a 23zero breezeway. Mine is the 64" queen bed model. It is pretty tight for my daughters and myself but it fits on the back of my short bed Tacoma which I like. Depending on the age of your kids, you might prefer one of the larger ones and maybe mount it on a higher rack up over the cab of the truck. If you mount it high, you can also run an annex to get some more space.

We really like the fact that we can open up all the windows and get air flowing through the tent. The coldest I camped got down to about 34F and we were all quite comfortable with good sleeping bags and quilts.

Ground tent is your best bet, especially on a budget. Lots of options, but REI is decent when there is a clearance or 20% discount

iKamper Skycamp.

Sets up in seconds.

Packs up in seconds, so if you need to move your vehicle for whatever reason it’s not a PITA.

You can face the hard shell to the wind to be protected from it. Also keeps your tent from flapping around.

Has the nicest mattress and I hear you can still close it up with your bedding inside.

Dirt inevitably gets under the soft covers of some tents. Can’t on the hard shells.

I haven't seen any RTT that has a full coverage rain fly which is usually what separates a 3 season from a 4 season ground tent. That said, I don't think it makes that much difference. You're just gonna be COLD!

Back