• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Beginning overlanding in CT

JamesR913

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Cement
Anyone know any good spots for a stock taco to go overlanding and camping

I'd recommend AOAA, it's a bit more tame then rausch. You gotta pay for a campsite there (idk i think it was $10 for one site but it was dead of winter so we used like 3) and I think $20 to ride for the day but go with another truck or two if you can. They got a map to download online and the green trails are super easy.

I can hook you up with the mobtown Offroad team if you want

What part of Connecticut are you in? I go to the mystic area often.

If you’re still looking at those parks 100% AOAA and stick to greens, I just finished rausch from this weekend and it’s a whole nother ball game lol

Hey everyone! I pick up my '20 TRD OR in two days. It will be bone stock for a bit, so not looking to go rock-crawling or anything, but would love to meet up with some local overlanders to start to learn. Do you all have any planned meetups nearby? Thanks!

Hey everyone! I pick up my '20 TRD OR in two days. It will be bone stock for a bit, so not looking to go rock-crawling or anything, but would love to meet up with some local overlanders to start to learn. Do you all have any planned meetups nearby? Thanks!
Planned meetups are slow right now in this area. But I think there is a general Northeast meet coming up soon. It would be more of a drive for you than just staying in CT, but it might be worth it.

I’ll try to find the info.

Here is one in PA. Not sure how far you’d be willing to drive.

1581594866291.png

“Join Explore Overland and the Northeast Toyota Overlanders family for a fun-filled weekend in Pottsville, Pennsylvania! This event will take place on March 20th, 21st and 22nd of 2020 at the Famous Reading Outdoors Park & Trails. This event features over 650 miles of excellent offroad trails through a variety of terrains. Camping is included and will be primitive - a true overlanders' paradise!

Tickets will include camping and park access, as well as entry to our raffle and invitation to presentations. Members who buy tickets will receive a goodie bag of Northeast Toyota Overlanders swag at the time of registration!

We are excited to partner with Koch 33 Toyota for this event.”

Thanks! Unfortunately, I think I'm away for business that week, but hopefully by Spring more will pop up. I'll keep my eyes open - thanks again for the welcome!

It seems we are looking for the same thing. I’m not sure how many people are willing but I think we should organized our own little get together.

Green Mountain National Forest VT - Forest RD 325 has some beautiful places to camp, campsites on Forest RD 71 & 83 are also available - no need to reserve.

Hey guys, any room for another taco, hailing from the 860?? Found some fun trail in the green mountains as @Akhan mentioned...my stock hitachis and geometry did just fine (with a little help from aired down ridge grapplers and careful attention to wheel placement when it got hairier). Would be super interested in hitting the trails and exploring more around these parts. There doesn’t seem to be a dedicated CT group, though I’ve found a couple smaller factions on the ‘gram located to our north...

Hey guys, any room for another taco, hailing from the 860?? Found some fun trail in the green mountains as @Akhan mentioned...my stock hitachis and geometry did just fine (with a little help from aired down ridge grapplers and careful attention to wheel placement when it got hairier). Would be super interested in hitting the trails and exploring more around these parts. There doesn’t seem to be a dedicated CT group, though I’ve found a couple smaller factions on the ‘gram located to our north...
There’s a few Facebook groups for the area. Check out noreast yotas. I know The main contributors are Rhode Island/mystic area

Unfortunately not many of us are in CT. We should organize a trip...love to do a trail or two if we can

There’s a few Facebook groups for the area. Check out noreast yotas. I know The main contributors are Rhode Island/mystic area
Awesome I'll be sure to do that. Thanks for the info man.

Unfortunately not many of us are in CT. We should organize a trip...love to do a trail or two if we can
Truth. I always see a few rigs around town--taco's, jeeps, even an old ranger. I guess we just haven't collected enough traction on the interwebs..YET. But yeah, I'd be 100% down. I'm going to roll around CT and see what the couple of hits on Alltrails are all about later this week; otherwise, there's the Greens, but those shut down on 12/15 for snowmobiling until April I think...not sure about other day-trappable stuff. Haven't mapped out the spots in PA that Badmin mentioned..and have to get details about a couple Mass spots.

Hey folks, planning on running up to the southern parts of green mountains NF tomorrow am with a coworker if anyone else feels like a spur of the moment day trip. Approx 2-2.5 hour one way trip from central CT to the planned trailheads. Most of it will likely be scenic dirt road, well maintained, definitely appropriate for stock. I’ve done fine with stock suspension and upgraded wheels on the rougher stuff up there too, respond here or send a message if you’re interested in tagging along!

Hey folks, planning on running up to the southern parts of green mountains NF tomorrow am with a coworker if anyone else feels like a spur of the moment day trip. Approx 2-2.5 hour one way trip from central CT to the planned trailheads. Most of it will likely be scenic dirt road, well maintained, definitely appropriate for stock. I’ve done fine with stock suspension and upgraded wheels on the rougher stuff up there too, respond here or send a message if you’re interested in tagging along!
seems I missed a fun trip. Hope you guys enjoyed your time....Any future plans, would love to tag along.

We had a blast for sure! Nothing on the immediate plans, but I'll be sure to post here if we plan on going up in the next few weeks. Actually had a chance to do some snow wheeling after that big drop a few weeks back, I can totally see what the craze is about, such a great time (and pretty forgiving on the suspension at speed :)). Have you had a chance to get the truck off pavement at all recently?

As an aside, has anyone here been doing winter camping locally?

We had a blast for sure! Nothing on the immediate plans, but I'll be sure to post here if we plan on going up in the next few weeks. Actually had a chance to do some snow wheeling after that big drop a few weeks back, I can totally see what the craze is about, such a great time (and pretty forgiving on the suspension at speed :)). Have you had a chance to get the truck off pavement at all recently?

As an aside, has anyone here been doing winter camping locally?
No stuck at home…can’t wait to go out

Get OnXOffroad and get after it. Finding your own way is the best part.

Back