• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Beefed up the rear 8" with a TRUSS and a BASH PLATE

New Holland Overland

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.newhollandoverland.com
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
One of the biggest things I've been wanting to do for a while on the taco is to start beefing up the rear...reasons being for high-speed dune driving and jumping the truck on the dunes. Its not common for the 3rd members to tweak or break but for the small price of a truss its worth the extra insurance. If your crawling then a bash plate would be perfect for you as well to protect the thin-wall of your pumpkin.

FINISHED PHOTO:
IMG-7547.jpg

RUFFSTUFF SPECIALTIES: (Here are the links to the truss and bash plate)
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/TOYTRUSS-BACK.html
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R1772.html

Here is what a stock rear will look like prior to the truss and bash plate:

IMG-7540.jpg

Here are the parts needed from RUFF STUFF SPECIALTIES (Also showing the DMZ frame box kit)
- Truss
- Bash Plate
- 75W-90 Gear oil (5 quartz)

Additional goodies shown:
- DMZ frame box kit
- Kartek 12" Limit straps (For stock length droop)
- New Grade 8 U bolts (Fits into wheelers U-bolt flip kit which doubles as a strike plate for the bumpstops)

IMG-7541.jpg

Start the process by draining your diff fluid, make sure you clean up your out surfaces with Acetone very very well so you dont spark any type of flame from the leftover oil (clean is key). Then place the 24mm socket back onto the fill plug and weld the small access tube onto the pumpkin, this will be your first step in starting your truss.

IMG-7542.jpg

The key to welding your truss on (Especially if your welding it onto the axle with the axle still on the truck) is to GO SLOW. It took me 11 hours total to do this project because you are welding 1" sections from one side to the other to prevent any warping or twisting of the axle from heat. Start with the pumpkin and then move your way outwards on the axle. You will have to modify the truss to fit around the pumpkin (Its not plug and play), as well as cutting the truss 4" shorter on each end to fit next to the U-bolts. Ill eventually add back in those 4" once I relocate the shocks. For the bash plate I chopped about 2" off the top so it snugged up against the truss nicely, this will also need some modifying to fit properly around the pumpkin.

Its not necessary to remove any brake lines or ABS wires, just hang them up high and tuck them out of the way.

IMG-7543.jpg

Here is what the finished truss will look like! Coated with STEELIT Coatings Grey

IMG-7547.jpg

From this angle you can see how much it beefs up the axle from front to rear, and showing the King hydro bumpstop kit. I had to add about 1/2" of plate to the strike pads to accomodate the U bolts from hitting the bump canister.

IMG-7548.jpg
IMG-7549.jpg
IMG-7550.jpg

And thats the finished product from RUFFSTUFF SPECIALTIES on their truss and bash plate kits!

Back