• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Beef up my front end or wait?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
My truck needs new diff/CV axle seals and steering rack bushings.

I have aftermarket UCAs, coils, and shocks, but everything else up there is stock.

Should I use this chance to consider stuff like LCAs, steering rack upgrades, other steering upgrades, beefier tie rod ends, anything else IFS related (besides beefy CV axles; I want to leave those stock)?

I’m asking because I’m preparing the truck for a 100,000+ mile road trip and I believe there are pros and cons to OEM or upgraded parts in my scenario. And when the road trip is over, I fully intend to SAS the truck, so anything I add to it now would get removed anyway.

I’m also wondering about mid travel. My rear tires stick out a fair bit more than the front do because of the preload I have on my front shocks, causing it to pull the control arms/tires inward. Maybe mid travel could help push them back out 1.5” or so?

Anyway, any links to parts or advice you have would be great.

Honestly for the amount of travel that you're planning to do I see a high value and having the majority of the stuff factory components. I put a lot of wear and tear on bushings and such, but all that stuff is easily available through any Napa, AutoZone, or any dealer. Having specialty stuff from particular manufacturers, although maybe a better component to beat on, makes it difficult to source repair parts while on the road.

Honestly for the amount of travel that you're planning to do I see a high value and having the majority of the stuff factory components. I put a lot of wear and tear on bushings and such, but all that stuff is easily available through any Napa, AutoZone, or any dealer. Having specialty stuff from particular manufacturers, although maybe a better component to beat on, makes it difficult to source repair parts while on the road.
That’s what I was thinking too.

It's definitely a difficult decision as I completely understand how beefing it up could totally be worth it in the long run. I'd certainly consider a mid travel kit maybe some lower control arms.

If you plan to hit stuff hard or wheel hard I would recommend doing some gusseting in the front end with all that weight behind you. I jump my truck (6200lb's) consistently at silver lake even with the stock LCA and everything stays aligned with the proper gusseting and reinforcement work. Also make sure you keep an eye on your spherical bearings in your shock for that kind of mileage.

Suggestions:
Coil bucket gussets (double shearing the UCA)
Spindle Gusset
Marlin Crawler LCA Frame Gussets
Limit straps for the shocks
Active bumpstops (wheelers superbumps, durobumps, timbren)...or hydro :p

If you plan to hit stuff hard or wheel hard I would recommend doing some gusseting in the front end with all that weight behind you. I jump my truck (6200lb's) consistently at silver lake even with the stock LCA and everything stays aligned with the proper gusseting and reinforcement work. Also make sure you keep an eye on your spherical bearings in your shock for that kind of mileage.

Suggestions:
Coil bucket gussets (double shearing the UCA)
Spindle Gusset
Marlin Crawler LCA Frame Gussets
Limit straps for the shocks
Active bumpstops (wheelers superbumps, durobumps, timbren)...or hydro :p
Mr. Send It over here trying to get me to jump my camper!

Nah, those are great ideas, but I think I'll leave it the way I have it. That way, when the common components inevitably break, I can just pick up the parts from Toyota.

Mr. Send It over here trying to get me to jump my camper!

Nah, those are great ideas, but I think I'll leave it the way I have it. That way, when the common components inevitably break, I can just pick up the parts from Toyota.
Haha I mean...jumping camper would be fun to see ;)

I chose those items because they do leave most of the truck stock, your just reinforcing the stock components to prevent any potential damage. Im assuming your already over GVWR, I know I am (6200lb's), so any reinforcement on that frame will be your best friend for the life of the truck. Better safe than sorry!

Haha I mean...jumping camper would be fun to see ;)

I chose those items because they do leave most of the truck stock, your just reinforcing the stock components to prevent any potential damage. Im assuming your already over GVWR, I know I am (6200lb's), so any reinforcement on that frame will be your best friend for the life of the truck. Better safe than sorry!
Way over GVWR. I'm a rolling train at this point.

I would toss some change into this convo and say bumps for sure. If they are still stock, upgrade those bad boys for the trip (when it does happen)

Damn, I suck. Well good! I haven’t but need to. Mine are like bricks
I was actually missing one. No idea when or how that happened, lol. It feels nice to finally not smash the plastic fender over every curb.

I was actually missing one. No idea when or how that happened, lol. It feels nice to finally not smash the plastic fender over every curb.

Oh, well dang lol mine are so worn it smashes the actually metal in the fender now lol

Back