• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Bed to cab height difference 3rd gen vs 2nd gen Taco??

ninong671

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Manual
White
I know many parts between the two generations are interchangeable but is the distance from bed to top of cab the same on both? Just curious as it may help when buying used parts like full height bed racks, Softopper, etc meant for 2nd gen. I personally never owned a 2nd gen or know anyone right now that does and don't wanna take measurements off a stranger's truck in a parking lot. Also, are all the big name roof racks (Prinsu, Frontrunner, etc) the same height as OEM?

Last edited:
The walls on the 3rd Gen are higher than the 2nd Gen. How much I'm not sure. I think it's only like an inch but it is a difference. Also the wall closest to the cab is different and the tailgate cap is different. So a second gen shell isn't exactly interchangeable onto a 3rd gen and vise versa.

Upvote 0
The walls on the 3rd Gen are higher than the 2nd Gen. How much I'm not sure. I think it's only like an inch but it is a difference. Also the wall closest to the cab is different and the tailgate cap is different. So a second gen shell isn't exactly interchangeable onto a 3rd gen and vise versa.
I figured. Not trying fit a cap anyway. Looking to get full height rack soon and most companies label it as 2005+ Tacoma and I'm not sure if there will be any issue of rack and roof rack (later) not lining up.

Upvote 0
I figured. Not trying fit a cap anyway. Looking to get full height rack soon and most companies label it as 2005+ Tacoma and I'm not sure if there will be any issue of rack and roof rack (later) not lining up.

I'd just confirm with whatever rack manufacturer you go with obviously. Who knows there may be some small little difference from product to product.

Upvote 0
Back