• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Battery Replacement Recommendations

bonifacio

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.bracestraps.com
2019 TRD OR
Cement
Have the factory 28800-03046 (24F? )battery now. Might just be about that time to replace it. So I was hoping to find some recommendations.
I just have some lights and stuff. Random things here and there. Might go with on board air at some point. Just feel my battery is getting there and it's about that time.

Guess I'd just keep the factory tray. Grab a 34/35 battery? Already have the tie down taken care of so I guess I have some options.
Worth grabbing an AGM battery? I'd just retune to enable AGM. I think that handles the alternator voltage output.
Would an AGM battery outlive a standard battery? Does it have longevity benefits or is it mainly performance when more juice is needed?

I was thinking about just grabbing a Optima Yellow Top. Maybe a Red Top.
Then there's always the Toyota True Start battery that's just cheaper.
I think I saw the True Start batteries are AGM. Does Toyota re-flash for it or are they designed not to need higher voltage to charge?
Seems that the factory batteries are pretty much trash.

Please don't post bad ass dual battery setups and sweet ass self sustaining super generator builds. I don't need to fall into that wormhole. Just saying...

Last edited:
I would replace it with an original Toyota battery from a Toyota dealer as that is the only place to get one.
It worked and lived its life well and that is hard to do with aftermarket batteries at the same cost.
The Toyota battery is made by Johnson Controls BTW

I have had a yellow and red top and they never get fully charged and will loss a charge quickly if not used daily.
JMO on my four Optima's I have purchased to the total amount of 1K over the years.

They were all used in a Jeep with a HIGH voltage alternator so ,......... yeah.

Call your closest Toyota dealer and tell them your vehicle info so they will have it when you arrive.
You may find it cost less than you expected. At least it will work, fit and be under a warranty.

I've also had bad experiences with Optima. They're not what they used to be since they moved manufacturing to Mexico. My last one only lasted 2 years.

I'm not impressed with the Toyota battery either though. I've had 2 and both of them leaked. Sealed is a good idea if you off road at all.

The only batteries I'd consider going with are the Northstar or the X2 (which are the same but the X2 has a better warranty at Batteries Plus). Seems everything dies in 2 years here in AZ so warranty is a big deal.

I've also had bad experiences with Optima. They're not what they used to be since they moved manufacturing to Mexico. My last one only lasted 2 years.

I'm not impressed with the Toyota battery either though. I've had 2 and both of them leaked. Sealed is a good idea if you off road at all.

The only batteries I'd consider going with are the Northstar or the X2 (which are the same but the X2 has a better warranty at Batteries Plus). Seems everything dies in 2 years here in AZ so warranty is a big deal.
What size?

MY battery just died and I got a 24F from Napa, the AGM Legend. It was too small. The clamp wouldn't hold it down. It had a 34R in it originally. The Red Top was the best other option so I got that. It was $24 more. Even that had to use an adaptor to fit right. It is not exact size for Group 34R, but I guess it's more of a guideline...

-M

I've the X2 27F for two years now and it's been fantastic. I live in the mountains of Colorado and the truck parks outside for now and I haven't had any issues yet with cold weather starting. The battery is about 1" longer then the 24F but is still fits und er the hood and with the factory hold-down.

I've the X2 27F for two years now and it's been fantastic. I live in the mountains of Colorado and the truck parks outside for now and I haven't had any issues yet with cold weather starting. The battery is about 1" longer then the 24F but is still fits und er the hood and with the factory hold-down.
Hol' up. They're $400?

Here's a secret. Pull your battery. Take it to the nearest parts store and tell them you need to replace it and ask what is on sale. The big named parts stores pretty much always have one battery or another on sale.

Unless you have added a bunch of power hogging accessories the only real draw is starting. So just about any battery with the appropriate starting amps will work. If you take care of it (check fluid levels if posible and don't run it down completely) most batteries will last about five years. Maybe a bit less in severe weather conditons.

If you have a OEM alternator "programmed for the OEM battery.
Get an OEM battery from your dealer,........... yes they are a Toyota brand made by Johnson Controls.

Wanna change things, then make sure your alternator will do the duty its asked of either by programming or replacement.

OEM is not expensive as you may think,.... but they are vehicle specific. CALL your dealer for the correct one
1693089483568.png

1693089088353.png

Last edited:
Then there's lithium that should last three times as long and never leave you stranded even if you leave the lights on unless it's freezing for days without using the truck.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_rw_qstFdE&t=1085s

My battery has never just died. If I did leave the lights on, it was always minimal drain.
I got away with using a Toyota battery from 2006-2015. Just a standard battery and never had issues. So now, I'm gonna push it everytime.

Back