• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Battery Replacement Recommendation

KEN97W

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
What group size battery is used in my 2016 Tacoma Limited? I still have the original and can't find a same size replacement (L-10 1/2" W-6 3/4" H- 8 l/4"). The original battery I have does not have any group size marked on it. I don't want to take it into a dealership. The only recommendations I have found have been either 2" too long and an inch too high. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you, Ken.

Found 24F is factory.
27F is the largest I believe. Sometimes needs a little trimming.
That fits in the factory tray.

Odyssey Marine AGM Size 31 seem to be favored.

I could be wrong. Just searched it.

When I swap, I'll probably get one of those fancy AGM batteries.

Last edited:
Stick with the factory size, go with an AGM, adjust charging voltage via OVTune.

Going larger runs the risk of tearing the factory sheet metal under the battery tray due to increased forces on the body. If you need more amp hours than the single factory size can provide, get a dual battery system.

Stick with the factory size, go with an AGM, adjust charging voltage via OVTune.

Going larger runs the risk of tearing the factory sheet metal under the battery tray due to increased forces on the body. If you need more amp hours than the single factory size can provide, get a dual battery system.

How about a tapered down battery? Some show as "factory fit" and are shaped that way.

Anyone familiar with battery chargers and battery tenders?
Can you just charge or put it on anytime? Would it extend the life of the battery?

No need for a tender if you regularly drive your truck. If you don't, then a tender is easy insurance and support easy to connect when you park.

I recently came across these at Import Alliance a few weekends ago. For those looking to shed 40+ lbs, these are a viable option. They claim a 25-30 year life expectancy. Not to mention they weigh close to 6lbs. They also claimed that if I was completely dead, you can recharge to full capacity in 6 min from either their charger, or a regular charger.

Interesting. I wish they had those when I still had my EG.

I recently replaced mine with a 27F X2 Power AGM. It's about 1.5" wider than the 24F but the cold cranking and output was near the same a going to a dual battery system but half the weight. It came with a 5 year full replacement warranty (not prorated). It has been great so far.

I recently replaced mine with a 27F X2 Power AGM. It's about 1.5" wider than the 24F but the cold cranking and output was near the same a going to a dual battery system but half the weight. It came with a 5 year full replacement warranty (not prorated). It has been great so far.
What do you do to charge it? AGM batteries prefer to be charged between 14.4 and 14.8v, 3G alternator charges to 13.9. You won't get full performance and it won't last as long at that voltage.

Last edited:
I have a group 34r. Stock tray but you’ll need an aftermarket tie down. Plenty battery for what I need and will need for the distant future

EDE6950F-ACA7-45A3-9C86-C8FBB8EE9F04.jpeg

What do you do to charge it? AGM batteries prefer to be charged between 14.4 and 14.8v, 3G alternator charges to 13.9. You won't get full performance and it won't last as long at that voltage.
You have a couple of options here. You can either go get a Redarc BC/DC charger which amplifies the voltage off of the alternator, or you can get VFTuner and up the voltage by way of one of the tunes. I have my Redarc hooked up to the secondary battery and the VFtune boost for the primary battery. I plan on keeping the Redarc due to my solar panels, as it acts as a MPPT charge controller as well. I started a write up on my battery set up in my rig last year then between life occurences and Covid, I didnt finish it. I will finish it as soon as I can. I think it will help alot of people on here. And now that I have solar and the VFtuner, I have to make a few revisions anyway.

Using stock. Never heard about that issue. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Using stock. Never heard about that issue. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.
How's your battery doing now? It's been about year since you got that AGM. I'm looking for agm options

Back