• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Average labor cost to regear.

Berserker__taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 SR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
So I know I've been a pain in the ass with gear swap questions. Hopefully this is the last lol. For those of you who swapped gears, what was your labor cost? I got a smoking deal on Nitro Gear 5.29s off FB market place. My plan is to drop the truck off and have them install my parts. Dropping the 3rds and sending them to ECGS is a good option but I can't have my truck down that long. I plan on providing the air locker also. One shop local to me quoted 700-900 per axle. That's just labor with me providing all parts. Sounds a bit high to me as I had a quote for all labor and parts from a shop 10hrs away at $2,500.

I paid 1250 for front and rear at State48 Overland about a year ago. I did not do a front locker though.

I think that's fair for labor. $75-100/man hour is what I've seen be a typical mechanic labor charge, and gears take a good bit of knowledge and some extra equipment (press, etc.).

JT's Differential (Nitrogear) in Cashmere, WA did my regear.(4.88 front and rear, clamshell bushing) It was 1600 for parts, and the same for labor. Feels pretty standard that its going to be double the price of the parts for install.. if you find a few places that are within a few hundred bucks of each other then I would focus on making a decision based on quality.

JT's Differential (Nitrogear) in Cashmere, WA did my regear.(4.88 front and rear, clamshell bushing) It was 1600 for parts, and the same for labor. Feels pretty standard that its going to be double the price of the parts for install.. if you find a few places that are within a few hundred bucks of each other then I would focus on making a decision based on quality.
I feel a regear coming. With 6in lift scheduled for install in a couple weeks , ordered warn winch bumper this morning, and picked up 12,000lbs winch this afternoon, yeah it's coming. Im gonna see how my vf tune on my truck is going to do with this extra weight, might switch around tunes . Cashmere isn't too far from where I live .

I feel a regear coming. With 6in lift scheduled for install in a couple weeks , ordered warn winch bumper this morning, and picked up 12,000lbs winch this afternoon, yeah it's coming. Im gonna see how my vf tune on my truck is going to do with this extra weight, might switch around tunes . Cashmere isn't too far from where I live .
I haven't done a tune yet, and am unsure if I will. I did my research on regearing before I even swapped from an FJ to this rig, and just had it set in my mind that it was what I was going to do. Im not big on advertising or pushing for certain shops, but I was really impressed with that experience and am very happy with the results. The truck should be geared differently from the factory.

Yeah I agree partially. My truck is my dd and hobby. So I drive a lot of hwy but on road trips loaded with gear I wish I had like 4.88 . I keep telling my self I'll never do 35in tires I wanna stay at 33in tires . Tune does help alot I run about 20 to almost 22 mpg as of now

I’m in El Paso texas and one of the top performance shops quoted me about 1200 for 5.29 gears, no front locker install

whi
Which shop gave you that quote in El Paso and when? Please
Hammer performance. And at the time I posted that comment is roughly when I was quoted. I would recommend going to a different shop honestly. I had issues sometime after the gear work and had to have them fix it. They didn't want to admit it but it was definitely an install mistake. The second rebuild also had issues so I had to have a shop out here in Massachusetts's fix it again when I moved. From what they saw it looks like another install mistake. So far so good now though. Oh and the shop out here in mass didn't charge nearly as much as hammer performance. Pretty sure I was getting ripped off out there. I would recommend getting ahold of Tactical Application Vehicles (TAVLLC) up in New Mexico. Super solid shop. You have to buy the parts through them though.

Hammer performance. And at the time I posted that comment is roughly when I was quoted. I would recommend going to a different shop honestly. I had issues sometime after the gear work and had to have them fix it. They didn't want to admit it but it was definitely an install mistake. The second rebuild also had issues so I had to have a shop out here in Massachusetts's fix it again when I moved. From what they saw it looks like another install mistake. So far so good now though. Oh and the shop out here in mass didn't charge nearly as much as hammer performance. Pretty sure I was getting ripped off out there. I would recommend getting ahold of Tactical Application Vehicles (TAVLLC) up in New Mexico. Super solid shop. You have to buy the parts through them though.
Thanks for the info

Back