• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
In this thread, there are no stupid questions. Ask whatever question you need to know about your truck, wheeling, etc. without the stress of being judged or trolled.

For those answering: Give a no-bullshit proper answer/advice to the questions. I don’t care if they’re asking why their push-to-start won’t work. Just tell them that they need their foot on the brake.

Does anyone know how to “help” the rear locker engage when it’s struggling? I generally try to roll a little for it to lock, but often times on uneven terrain, it’s very hard to have it engage.

Does anyone know how to “help” the rear locker engage when it’s struggling? I generally try to roll a little for it to lock, but often times on uneven terrain, it’s very hard to have it engage.
The one time that mine didn't immediately engage, I just gave a little gas and creeped forward a tad bit and it engaged

Is it a must to get a 3” lift kit with AAL to clear 33s? Or do you just need a set of 5100s and set them to the highest setting?

Is it a must to get a 3” lift kit with AAL to clear 33s? Or do you just need a set of 5100s and set them to the highest setting?
A set of 5100’s in the front and stock rear? It will work for 285’s and road driving. With any flex though, you’ll rub like hell. I have the lift and still rub off-road.

A set of 5100’s in the front and stock rear? It will work for 285’s and road driving. With any flex though, you’ll rub like hell. I have the lift and still rub off-road.
Thanks Tyler! 5100s front and rear. Guess i’ll be looking into coils and AAL then. :)

I have never kept a fire extinguisher in my personal vehicles, looking to get one for the Taco, what does anyone recommend?

I have never kept a fire extinguisher in my personal vehicles, looking to get one for the Taco, what does anyone recommend?
I used to have a small kidde in my vw bug. Thankfully i never had to use it. From what i remember, It didn’t seem to hold pressure for a long period of time and i never bothered to get it refilled/pressurized.

If I remove the rubber boots from my 5100’s, will they be fine? I ask because one of them came permantly warped/twisted and it drives me insane.
I had 5100s in my previous 3rd gen and then same thing happened. Looks terrible. But they did stretch out a bit when I installed the OME springs. Do you plan on getting aftermarket springs? If so, it’ll go away and won’t look as bad.

I had 5100s in my previous 3rd gen and then same thing happened. Looks terrible. But they did stretch out a bit when I installed the OME springs. Do you plan on getting aftermarket springs? If so, it’ll go away and won’t look as bad.
This one is in the rear so no spring. I tried stretching it out and stuff but it just ends up a bunched up twisted ugly mess. :(

is a 1.25" lift on the front end really going to make my needle bearing fail?

is a 1.25" lift on the front end really going to make my needle bearing fail?
I believe it won’t. There are plenty of people that don’t even know about this/the ECGS bushing with more lift than that, and they’re ok. But I’m not saying they shouldn’t do the bushing cause they should if possible.

With 1.25”, I can’t see that causing failure. I have 2.25” in the front and think I feel some vibration, but it could be placebo. I plan to do the bushing anyway for mine though. Do you feel vibration?

I didn't even know about the issue when I put a 2.25" level kit on. I don't think I had gone a km from the shop when I noticed the problem and thought the shop had f'd something up. The ECGS bushing solved it immediately.

I sure wish I'd just done a full 3" lift now though because my 33's def rub on minor rough terrain....

I believe it won’t. There are plenty of people that don’t even know about this/the ECGS bushing with more lift than that, and they’re ok. But I’m not saying they shouldn’t do the bushing cause they should if possible.

With 1.25”, I can’t see that causing failure. I have 2.25” in the front and think I feel some vibration, but it could be placebo. I plan to do the bushing anyway for mine though. Do you feel vibration?

I haven't put the lift in yet. Looking like June before I can get in at my cousin's garage. That is unless I can find a shop that'll do it for uder $400

I didn't even know about the issue when I put a 2.25" level kit on. I don't think I had gone a km from the shop when I noticed the problem and thought the shop had f'd something up. The ECGS bushing solved it immediately.

I sure wish I'd just done a full 3" lift now though because my 33's def rub on minor rough terrain....

Interesting. I don't mind spending the money to get the bushing and puller tool, but I have zero knowledge base on that process. The lift is even a stretch for me, but I'm going to have help.

So....I’m kinda new to the Tacoma world. I have a 2017 SR5 DCSB and I wanted to know if there was a way I would be able to install turn signal side mirrors on my truck...

I haven't put the lift in yet. Looking like June before I can get in at my cousin's garage. That is unless I can find a shop that'll do it for uder $400

Interesting. I don't mind spending the money to get the bushing and puller tool, but I have zero knowledge base on that process. The lift is even a stretch for me, but I'm going to have help.

Is this a spacer lift? If so you can do it in 2 hours in a garage.

So....I’m kinda new to the Tacoma world. I have a 2017 SR5 DCSB and I wanted to know if there was a way I would be able to install turn signal side mirrors on my truck...

Buy the side mirrors and could run the harness/patch it into the turn signal in your headlight assemblies. It’s a separate harness in tacos that come stock with it but this would be one way to do it. You may need to do minor drilling to get the harness routed. And you could possibly trace the turn signal harness back a bit so you aren’t running the harness all the way to the headlight fixture

Hey guys, posted in anotherthread but figured I’d post here as well....looking to do a slight lift on my ‘17 trd ccsb 6mt. It’s my daily so I’m not gonna go crazy but I would like to lift it 3” and throw some larger tires underneath. Suggestions on lifts and if there are any other parts that should be upgraded while putting the lift on?? I have a short time frame due to leaving for the military in July so I’m hoping to get some work done quick and post progress photos along the way.

So I’ve asked this question on TW but never got a straight answer.

Is it recommended to get UCAs if I’m doing mild off-roading and more as a daily driver?

I have a Icon 2.5 Stage 1 kit installed, just no UCAs

Is it recommended to get UCAs if I’m doing mild off-roading and more as a daily driver?

1. Do you hear a loud clank going over bumps, rocks, uneven terrain?
2. Are there rub marks on your coil overs?
3. Are you able to get a complete alignment?
4. What’s your comfortability with not upgrading now?

Top 3 are you biggest questions to ask yourself and inspect. If you answer yes to 1/2 and no to 3, get new UCA’s.
Future proof your taco as well because you don’t know what trips you may end up planning that would require the added clearance A/M UCA’s can provide.

Hope this helped

Hey guys, posted in anotherthread but figured I’d post here as well....looking to do a slight lift on my ‘17 trd ccsb 6mt. It’s my daily so I’m not gonna go crazy but I would like to lift it 3” and throw some larger tires underneath. Suggestions on lifts and if there are any other parts that should be upgraded while putting the lift on?? I have a short time frame due to leaving for the military in July so I’m hoping to get some work done quick and post progress photos along the way.
When I answer this question with those goals I recommend: Bilstein 5100 shocks front and rear, OME coils front (887), add-a-leaf OR leaf pack replacement rear. The other parts that should be upgraded are: upper control arms (they’re in the front), ECGS needle bearing front diff upgrade, driveshaft drop spacer, Taco lean spacer above D/S coil, and extended brake lines in the rear.

You can get kits that will come with all of that (besides the ECGS bushing) at HeadStrong Off-road.

@PROTACO17 answered correctly, but I’ll give you another perspective.

You don’t NEED to replace your UCA’s. However, what is your reasoning not to?

Money? Difficulty? Time?

Last edited:
When I answer this question with those goals I recommend: Bilstein 5100 shocks front and rear, OME coils front (887), add-a-leaf OR leaf pack replacement rear. The other parts that should be upgraded are: upper control arms (they’re in the front), ECGS needle bearing front diff upgrade, driveshaft drop spacer, Taco lean spacer above D/S coil, and extended brake lines in the rear.

You can get kits that will come with all of that (besides the ECGS bushing) at HeadStrong Off-road.

@PROTACO17 answered correctly, but I’ll give you another perspective.

You don’t NEED to replace your UCA’s. However, what is your reasoning not to?

Money? Difficulty? Time?

Mainly time, as in taking my time with the truck, fitting pieces like a puzzle, little by little

1. Do you hear a loud clank going over bumps, rocks, uneven terrain?
2. Are there rub marks on your coil overs?
3. Are you able to get a complete alignment?
4. What’s your comfortability with not upgrading now?

Top 3 are you biggest questions to ask yourself and inspect. If you answer yes to 1/2 and no to 3, get new UCA’s.
Future proof your taco as well because you don’t know what trips you may end up planning that would require the added clearance A/M UCA’s can provide.

Hope this helped

No to 1/2, just mainly squeaking, the offroad shop I took it to get my suspension done said that the squeaking would be normal. As for alignment, no issues there.

This helps for sure! I’ll be looking to future proof my taco, just taking it slow, piece by piece right now. Thanks @PROTACO17 (y)

No to 1/2, just mainly squeaking, the offroad shop I took it to get my suspension done said that the squeaking would be normal. As for alignment, no issues there.

This helps for sure! I’ll be looking to future proof my taco, just taking it slow, piece by piece right now. Thanks @PROTACO17 (y)

Squeaking 100% is normal for new suspension. Your rear leaf will settle more with a lifted front resulting in a squeak. It can also be caused by body mounts but I doubt that would be your case. The squeak will probably not go away.

Squeaking 100% is normal for new suspension. Your rear leaf will settle more with a lifted front resulting in a squeak. It can also be caused by body mounts but I doubt that would be your case. The squeak will probably not go away.
My rear has been squeaking. Kind of annoying.

My rear has been squeaking. Kind of annoying.
Sadly nothing you could do besides constantly cleaning and spraying with some sort of lubricant which only attracts more dirt and more squeezing. Replacing the rear leafs will do it but why? Sure it’s a little annoying but oh well

Back