REFERENCE Ask a “beginner” question, get a serious answer

• Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum! 🤙
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Tyler

T3G Level: Legendary
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
In this thread, there are no stupid questions. Ask whatever question you need to know about your truck, wheeling, etc. without the stress of being judged or trolled.

For those answering: Give a no-bullshit proper answer/advice to the questions. I don’t care if they’re asking why their push-to-start won’t work. Just tell them that they need their foot on the brake.

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
Does anyone know how to “help” the rear locker engage when it’s struggling? I generally try to roll a little for it to lock, but often times on uneven terrain, it’s very hard to have it engage.

mZiggy

T3G Level: Gold
T3G O.G.
First Name
Marc
Military
Army
T3G Member
Does anyone know how to “help” the rear locker engage when it’s struggling? I generally try to roll a little for it to lock, but often times on uneven terrain, it’s very hard to have it engage.
The one time that mine didn't immediately engage, I just gave a little gas and creeped forward a tad bit and it engaged

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
If I remove the rubber boots from my 5100’s, will they be fine? I ask because one of them came permantly warped/twisted and it drives me insane.

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
Is it a must to get a 3” lift kit with AAL to clear 33s? Or do you just need a set of 5100s and set them to the highest setting?
A set of 5100’s in the front and stock rear? It will work for 285’s and road driving. With any flex though, you’ll rub like hell. I have the lift and still rub off-road.

Audidood

T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Gerald
T3G Member
A set of 5100’s in the front and stock rear? It will work for 285’s and road driving. With any flex though, you’ll rub like hell. I have the lift and still rub off-road.
Thanks Tyler! 5100s front and rear. Guess i’ll be looking into coils and AAL then. :)

Silent_Taco4x4

T3G Level: Platinum
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Adam
T3G Member
I have never kept a fire extinguisher in my personal vehicles, looking to get one for the Taco, what does anyone recommend?

Audidood

T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Gerald
T3G Member
I have never kept a fire extinguisher in my personal vehicles, looking to get one for the Taco, what does anyone recommend?
I used to have a small kidde in my vw bug. Thankfully i never had to use it. From what i remember, It didn’t seem to hold pressure for a long period of time and i never bothered to get it refilled/pressurized.

badfish_taco

T3G O.G.
First Name
Edgar
T3G Member
If I remove the rubber boots from my 5100’s, will they be fine? I ask because one of them came permantly warped/twisted and it drives me insane.
I had 5100s in my previous 3rd gen and then same thing happened. Looks terrible. But they did stretch out a bit when I installed the OME springs. Do you plan on getting aftermarket springs? If so, it’ll go away and won’t look as bad.

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
I had 5100s in my previous 3rd gen and then same thing happened. Looks terrible. But they did stretch out a bit when I installed the OME springs. Do you plan on getting aftermarket springs? If so, it’ll go away and won’t look as bad.
This one is in the rear so no spring. I tried stretching it out and stuff but it just ends up a bunched up twisted ugly mess. :(

Ron

T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Ron
Military
Coast Guard (Vet.)
T3G Member
is a 1.25" lift on the front end really going to make my needle bearing fail?

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
is a 1.25" lift on the front end really going to make my needle bearing fail?
I believe it won’t. There are plenty of people that don’t even know about this/the ECGS bushing with more lift than that, and they’re ok. But I’m not saying they shouldn’t do the bushing cause they should if possible.

With 1.25”, I can’t see that causing failure. I have 2.25” in the front and think I feel some vibration, but it could be placebo. I plan to do the bushing anyway for mine though. Do you feel vibration?

Dt1524

T3G Level: Bronze
T3G O.G.
First Name
Damian Turner
T3G Member
I didn't even know about the issue when I put a 2.25" level kit on. I don't think I had gone a km from the shop when I noticed the problem and thought the shop had f'd something up. The ECGS bushing solved it immediately.

I sure wish I'd just done a full 3" lift now though because my 33's def rub on minor rough terrain....

Ron

T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Ron
Military
Coast Guard (Vet.)
T3G Member
I believe it won’t. There are plenty of people that don’t even know about this/the ECGS bushing with more lift than that, and they’re ok. But I’m not saying they shouldn’t do the bushing cause they should if possible.

With 1.25”, I can’t see that causing failure. I have 2.25” in the front and think I feel some vibration, but it could be placebo. I plan to do the bushing anyway for mine though. Do you feel vibration?

I haven't put the lift in yet. Looking like June before I can get in at my cousin's garage. That is unless I can find a shop that'll do it for uder $400

I didn't even know about the issue when I put a 2.25" level kit on. I don't think I had gone a km from the shop when I noticed the problem and thought the shop had f'd something up. The ECGS bushing solved it immediately.

I sure wish I'd just done a full 3" lift now though because my 33's def rub on minor rough terrain....

Interesting. I don't mind spending the money to get the bushing and puller tool, but I have zero knowledge base on that process. The lift is even a stretch for me, but I'm going to have help.

Ltate81

T3G Level: Bronze
T3G O.G.
T3G Member
So....I’m kinda new to the Tacoma world. I have a 2017 SR5 DCSB and I wanted to know if there was a way I would be able to install turn signal side mirrors on my truck...

Malcolm

T3G Level: Onyx
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
Military
Navy
T3G Member
I haven't put the lift in yet. Looking like June before I can get in at my cousin's garage. That is unless I can find a shop that'll do it for uder $400

Interesting. I don't mind spending the money to get the bushing and puller tool, but I have zero knowledge base on that process. The lift is even a stretch for me, but I'm going to have help.

Is this a spacer lift? If so you can do it in 2 hours in a garage.

Malcolm

T3G Level: Onyx
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
Military
Navy
T3G Member
So....I’m kinda new to the Tacoma world. I have a 2017 SR5 DCSB and I wanted to know if there was a way I would be able to install turn signal side mirrors on my truck...

Buy the side mirrors and could run the harness/patch it into the turn signal in your headlight assemblies. It’s a separate harness in tacos that come stock with it but this would be one way to do it. You may need to do minor drilling to get the harness routed. And you could possibly trace the turn signal harness back a bit so you aren’t running the harness all the way to the headlight fixture

Top Bottom