• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

ARB compressor isn't working!

YotaCampingPDX

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCLB Auto
White
I installed my ARB CKMA12 and when I turn on the switch it runs for 2-3 seconds then shuts off (while truck is running). When releasing the valve on the end of the hose, no air comes out.... am I missing something???

Sorry not sure exactly what's happening but here's a couple guesses.

it's a demand compressor meaning there is an electronic pressure switch. As long as you're depressing your inflator releasing air, the compressor will run, release the inflator and it will stop once the air on the line reaches 100ish psi.

If it's not functioning as described I'd start with checking the wiring for shorts since it was just installed. My index of suspension after that would be pressure switch, relay or faulty in cab switch.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Sorry not sure exactly what's happening but here's a couple guesses.

it's a demand compressor meaning there is an electronic pressure switch. As long as you're depressing your inflator releasing air, the compressor will run, release the inflator and it will stop once the air on the line reaches 100ish psi.

If it's not functioning as described I'd start with checking the wiring for shorts since it was just installed. My index of suspension after that would be pressure switch, relay or faulty in cab switch.

Good luck.
Would it make a difference if my relay if ground to the truck at all?

Upvote 0
Also, I noticed an oil/lubricant coming from the solenoid piece... I'm assuming that can't be good. I've read that these compressors are oilless so now I'm really confused.

Upvote 0
Maybe post some pictures. I'm guessing that's diaelectric grease on the pressure switch.

As far as your ground maybe. A good ground is absolutely necessary. Try grounding it to your battery and see if it works.

You may need a professional.

Upvote 0
I'd definitely give ARB a call. Their tech support was actually really helpful when I recently dealt with my suspension issue.

x2, I have diagnosed some compressor issues with their tech support, they do it over email also. They even sent my friend parts to fix his compressor.

Upvote 0
ARB Warranty # 425-264-1391
They have some great over the phone support and will warranty replace anything needed . They ended up replacing my CKMA12 when it was not functioning correctly. Not sure what the end problem was but replaced and haven't had a single issue since!

Upvote 0
When you release the end of the hose fitting does it shoot out like it’s under pressure? It turns on for a sec to pressurize the system. Once it reaches its pressure it turns off. Have you hooked up a hose to it and filled up a tire? Post a pic of your setup so we see how it looks. I stripped 95% of my harness away since I’m running it to a switch pros. How much of the harness did you use?

Upvote 0
When you release the end of the hose fitting does it shoot out like it’s under pressure? It turns on for a sec to pressurize the system. Once it reaches its pressure it turns off. Have you hooked up a hose to it and filled up a tire? Post a pic of your setup so we see how it looks. I stripped 95% of my harness away since I’m running it to a switch pros. How much of the harness did you use?

That’s exactly what’s happening. I’m going to try grounding the relay too today and will post some pics. I have not hooked it up to a tire, was just expecting it to release air when opening the valve... is that normal?

I appreciate all the advice everyone, very helpful!!

Upvote 0
Got it! I saw somebody else attach a dual compressor to the fuse lid and wanted to take a crack at it (save money on the bracket), here is what I ended up with. Pics included:

AE887085-4507-4B48-8C16-1BA7C5342187.jpeg
11B64C2C-F3DC-477B-A5DA-01EC701F2DD1.jpeg
D319D1FE-C3FB-4114-9730-67FE9F4F80BB.jpeg
A7D6623C-DF80-465D-BE2E-079AD39BADE5.jpeg

Attachments

• B1DA158D-F03F-4F43-99D2-F38CB621500A.jpeg
    B1DA158D-F03F-4F43-99D2-F38CB621500A.jpeg
    437 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 0
Looks good, but what fixed your problem?
I’m embarrassed to admit this but I expected the hose to release air when I squeeze the trigger, it did not. I released some air from my tire, hooked it up, turned it on and it worked like a charm.

1st build, learning A LOT. ?

Upvote 0
I’m embarrassed to admit this but I expected the hose to release air when I squeeze the trigger, it did not. I released some air from my tire, hooked it up, turned it on and it worked like a charm.

1st build, learning A LOT. ?

Happens to the best of us! Once I was wondering why my compressor was constantly running and went through debugging steps convinced it was broken and unplugged it so it didn’t drain my battery, turned out I had accidentally hit the switch at some point and it was on. ?‍♂️

Upvote 0
Back