• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Anyone run dirtbikes in the bed?

midnight20pro

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 Pro
Midnight Black
I've had my eye on a 450, but I'm not sure if it'll fit in the bed. Do any of you transport your dirt bikes in the back? I don't want to run a hitch based motorcycle carrier.

Let's see those bikes!

I've had my eye on a 450, but I'm not sure if it'll fit in the bed. Do any of you transport your dirt bikes in the back? I don't want to run a hitch based motorcycle carrier.

Let's see those bikes!
I think they fit in the bed of a shortbed with the tailgate down. I don't have any photos though.

My grom fits in the back with the tailgate up but yeah, tailgate down and it should fit a 450 right? I saw John T Young on youtube has a tacoma but he runs a camper top in the back so he carries the bike on the hitch... seems like a lot of weight to have hanging off the back like that.

My grom fits in the back with the tailgate up but yeah, tailgate down and it should fit a 450 right? I saw John T Young on youtube has a tacoma but he runs a camper top in the back so he carries the bike on the hitch... seems like a lot of weight to have hanging off the back like that.
Yeah, I've seen it done. To compensate for some of the weight on the tailgate, you can add a sheet of diamond plate (or wood or anything else) that goes into the bed and over the tailgate, which would end up taking a lot of the weight off the tailgate by distributing it better.

oh ok good call... I was thinking about exactly that, how much load can that tailgate handle, but if you put that piece of metal or wood down it should definitely prevent the tailgate from buckling under the weight or anything. Good call and thank you

oh ok good call... I was thinking about exactly that, how much load can that tailgate handle, but if you put that piece of metal or wood down it should definitely prevent the tailgate from buckling under the weight or anything. Good call and thank you
Always!

Got any photos for reference?
I’ve hauled my sled a handful of times also. Overall I’m impressed with how the tailgate and straps have held up.

Attachments

• D4F5FC03-EA52-42E7-894B-A481792CC5BC.jpeg
    D4F5FC03-EA52-42E7-894B-A481792CC5BC.jpeg
    504.2 KB · Views: 305
  • 150BCD02-E907-4328-A18C-0C828648300E.jpeg
    150BCD02-E907-4328-A18C-0C828648300E.jpeg
    549.9 KB · Views: 170
Dang you got your sled in the back no issue! Tailgates way stronger than I thought. Tough to even find a good DRZ400 where I'm at. Thanks for the pics and confidence to do this in the future too :)

Back