• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Any experience with Rough Country stage 2 lift?

TacoDerek

5️⃣ Platinum
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
I'm currently eyeing this (https://www.roughcountry.com/toyota-suspension-lift-kit-74232c.html) for my truck, but I got a buddy that's advising me to go Bilstein. I like the price and possible ease of install, but I don't know much about lifts. I'm looking to get more height, and especially some more room for my tires since I'm running 285/70R17 KO2s right now. Anyone got any suggestions or experience feedback for the RC lifts?

I'll always avoid Rough Country. Massed produced Chinese crap. A lot of complaints of RC stuff sagging more and quicker than others.
Sure other things are made in China, but they have better QC. The company pays the plant more for better quality control.

It says 3.5" but it will be lower since it's a 3rd Gen.
If $1150 is the budget, this will be a better way to go. Listen to your friend.

887 or 888. Don't do the 886, it's not recommended for the 5100's. Can be done, but expect quicker wear. You won't need UCA's since you're not going too high. If you do want to go higher, up that budget.

Other option.

Go higher on the front settings with stock springs. Purchase a AAL. Little less.

It's a nice truck. Keep it nice. Bilstein makes the 4700's for Toyota. Why not just upgrade there while keeping quality/reliability.

I'll always avoid Rough Country. Massed produced Chinese crap. A lot of complaints of RC stuff sagging more and quicker than others.
Sure other things are made in China, but they have better QC. The company pays the plant more for better quality control.

It says 3.5" but it will be lower since it's a 3rd Gen.
If $1150 is the budget, this will be a better way to go. Listen to your friend.

887 or 888. Don't do the 886, it's not recommended for the 5100's. Can be done, but expect quicker wear. You won't need UCA's since you're not going too high. If you do want to go higher, up that budget.

Other option.

Go higher on the front settings with stock springs. Purchase a AAL. Little less.

It's a nice truck. Keep it nice. Bilstein makes the 4700's for Toyota. Why not just upgrade there while keeping quality/reliability.
Thanks for the quick reply! Ideally, I'd like to go 3" front and rear. Right now, my rear looks a little lower, likely due to the camper shell, roof rack, rtt, and heavier/larger spare, and I haven't even gotten a rear bumper yet. But that's why I'm eyeing something with front and rear shocks. Preferably for under $1500.

If I go with your first link, I want to select the OME 2888s and the 1.5" ReadyLift or Procomp AALs, right?

Thanks for the quick reply! Ideally, I'd like to go 3" front and rear. Right now, my rear looks a little lower, likely due to the camper shell, roof rack, rtt, and heavier/larger spare, and I haven't even gotten a rear bumper yet. But that's why I'm eyeing something with front and rear shocks. Preferably for under $1500.

If I go with your first link, I want to select the OME 2888s and the 1.5" ReadyLift or Procomp AALs, right?
I'm switching from the 5100's to 6112/5160.
Trying to get a little more height with the little weight I have. Nothing in the bed.
If you have that kind of weight, I think you'll want to go with a leaf pack.

I'd go this route. This is the Readylift one. 6112 with the billet tophats that say they'll hit 3". Could also just go with just 6112 and stack on spacers which has been done. These 2 show in stock. They only show in stock when available for shipping. Other's will show in stock and it'll be backordered. Some hide that.

Grab some Icon RXT's or maybe it's the Dakars people like. They each have the load weight options.
RXT you can add/remove leafs for different weights you carry.
RXT's might be hard to find right now. It seems that the nicer than the standard 5100/AAL is mostly backordered out 3 months.

They say you should grab UCA's if you're going over 2.5". Might be able to get away with not grabbing them.

Last option is you could snag the standard 6112's. There is also a 650lbs spring you can get if you have a bumper, which is also backordered everywhere right now.
Then throw 2" blocks in the rear for now until you can buy the leaf pack. If it's limited budget, I think this would be the best route.

From what I've learned, it's hard to get quality on a budget. I do feel if you go 5100's, you'll regret it later. Especially if you already have the weight in the bed. I did the 5100/887's. It was decent. But I want a little more height and the added weight really drooped me. I have an empty bed, front bumper, roof rack, sound dampened cabin and getting a rear bumper shortly. I'm just going to run my Icon AAL + overload leaf for 2" for now. May switch to a leaf pack eventually just because.

Also, don't forget your carrier bearing drop and sway bar relocation. I'm unsure about the whole differential drop thing. Guess it's do the lift and go from there.

I feel the 6112's are a good compromise between entry 5100's and all that high end stuff. I chose this because it's Bilstein and saw a lot of the Icons leaking.

Last edited:
Also with that kind of weight, I'd imagine with that weight, the factory leafs will eventually wear and sag. So a full leaf pack would be the better option.
Came here to say this!

It honestly comes down to budget on what you want to spend. Definitely looking at a full leaf, not an AAL. Can't go wrong with Bilstein, but if your budget allows I've read awesome things about Dobinson's and Ironman Foam Cell.

I went with ICON Stage 3 and got 2 1/2" of lift. I'm fairly light though in comparison, no RTT or overlanding. They are in stock with many online retailers, and good quality. Pricey but worth it. Everything is expensive these days. 6112's are great, but impossible to get, and you have to compress the spring yourself and use your existing top hat. I bought the RC CRE LED 30" Light Bar and returned it. It didn't fit and I was not impressed with the quality. Good customer service though. I second the full leaf spring package from Dakar or ICON RXT, but again it will cost you.

Back