• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Ambient outside temperature display error

John816

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
2016 Tacoma. On the instrument panel the outside temperature displays “E”. Has anyone seen this? Could it be just a bad sensor? If so, where is the sensor located?

566B613B-64FC-4596-B1E2-6B7A80C29E60.jpeg

Is it really cold where you are? I'd try unplugging it and plugging it back in. Could be frozen.

Do your HVAC controls work? Buy it new or used?

Is it really cold where you are? I'd try unplugging it and plugging it back in. Could be frozen.

2016 Tacoma. On the instrument panel the outside temperature displays “E”. Has anyone seen this? Could it be just a bad sensor? If so, where is the sensor located?

I found the sensor. It is literally attached to the same bracket as the hood latch. I disconnected and cleaned the connection (which wasn’t dirty) but still has the same problem. Ordered a new one from Amazon for about $12.
Toyota Part # 077500-5191. We’ll see what happens.

Well, I swapped out the ambient temperature sensor and it still displays “E” on the instrument panel. Any other ideas?

Well, I swapped out the ambient temperature sensor and it still displays “E” on the instrument panel. Any other ideas?

HVAC work?

Looks like a lot of times the Ambient Temp sensor is tied to the A/C amplifier.
Check those fuses to try and isolate the issue if it's before or after that. Before being the sensor. After being between the fuses/A/C and instrument cluster.
upload_2020-12-25_2-1-31.jpg

I checked the a/c 10A fuse under the hood and it looks good. However when I try to run the a/c it does not come on (indicator light on the switch is off).

HVAC work?

Looks like a lot of times the Ambient Temp sensor is tied to the A/C amplifier.
Check those fuses to try and isolate the issue if it's before or after that. Before being the sensor. After being between the fuses/A/C and instrument cluster.
upload_2020-12-25_2-1-31.jpg
I checked the a/c 10A fuse under the hood and it looks good. However when I try to run the a/c it does not come on (indicator light on the switch is off).

What's the temperature like where you're at?
Did you buy it new or used? Ever have the windshield swapped out?

Just so I understand:
The A/C does not come on.
Switch is off.
Indicator light is on?

If the A/C is not working, try recirculation.

Do you have seat heaters? Is it a base model or Sport/OR/PRO with dual climate?

A/C, seat heaters and that sensor are all connected together.

I saw some people had this same exact issue and it was caused by water leaking into the cabin. It was wet underneath the driver side kick panel. I'd say just check that.

Check IG1 No2 Fuse.

91D697AC-8A4E-418B-9CCB-C404A36E6DFB.jpg

Further digging I came across HVAC control panel diagnostic test. You could try.

ac1.jpg

ac2.jpg

ac3.jpg

Lastly check the wiring in this area:
upload_2019-8-17_9-40-50.jpg

This was posted by caribe makaira on another forum and he knows his stuff.

Last edited:
FYI… behind the dash there was a connector plug for the ECM Amplifier that was loose. Since it’s a snap-plug, I guessing it wasn’t plugged in all the way from the factory and it took 63k miles to work itself completely loose. After it was plugged back in, the A/C, recirculation, and the outside air temperature display works fine. Expensive fix at the dealer but I would’ve never found this by myself.

FYI… behind the dash there was a connector plug for the ECM Amplifier that was loose. Since it’s a snap-plug, I guessing it wasn’t plugged in all the way from the factory and it took 63k miles to work itself completely loose. After it was plugged back in, the A/C, recirculation, and the outside air temperature display works fine. Expensive fix at the dealer but I would’ve never found this by myself.
Diagnostic self test would have isolated that for you.

You would think that the diagnostic self test would isolate the problem, but it just showed no communication with ECM. Basically, it’s says there’s an electrical issue, which I had already guessed. I wasn’t about to dismantle the dash myself and pretend I knew what I was looking for. Thanks to all you folks on this forum who tried to help me with this.

Back