• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Am I missing anything to complete my lift?

snakeyes

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
So, it didn't last long. Already looking at a lift 10 days into owning my Taco :p
I was debating on just a spacer setup since it'll be a while before I get around to any camping, off-roading, overlanding but I figured might as well do it right the first time.
99% DD so I think I've decided on Bilstein 5100s all around, with OME 2886 (eventual winch and winch bumper to be added) with Icon 1.5" expansion pack. All sourced from 4wp since we don't have a lot of options for local shops in Montreal and they have the best pricing I can find.
I'll be using the lowest spring perch on the 5100s so i think I should net 2" and adjust after adding the front weight later on. Am I correct in my thinking?
What am I missing? will I need the driver's side lean correction spacer? Rear shims to correct pinion angle (what degree)? CAM bolts? Front UPCAs?
I need it to drive perfectly on road since it'll be spending most of its time there.
Eventually upgrading tires but not sure on the size yet. Leaning towards 255/85/16s with stock rims.
If/when i add a bed rack and tent, if needed i may add the Sumo springs or some Hellwig 550 EZ helpers I've used before on my Xterra which seem to work well.

Hey Chris,

Having tried some of the things you are planning I can give some reviews. If you need it to drive perfectly, I would leave it mostly stock and near stock height for a while. Having experienced Bilstein 5100s on 2 Toyotas, I think they are worse than stock shocks, I feel a waste of money IMO. I would save your money and "do it right the first time" with King or Fox 2.5". 10 days in, there is weeks/months of research you can do before you spend your money. Factory leaf springs account for the lean, driver side has more arch, if you do AAL, this shouldn't affect lean much if at all.

I like your tire size choice, and 255s should fit without rubbing. I ran 255/80-17 (32.8") Cooper ST Maxx on FJ Cruiser steelies (17x7.5 et15) with saggy stock front suspension on my 2005 Taco, and I think it just cleared, but adding wheel spacers it did rub. The 3rd gen should be better on clearance, So I would do the tires as your first mod

If you want the rear suspension to perform ideally, to match the front ability and increase the rear ride quality and chassis composure, you will have to replace the stock rear shackle hangers, as these are the Achilles heel of the chassis. No amount of shock can fix the bad foundation, and bigger heavier tires make it worse. Your best option here is the Archive Garage Hammer hangers, now at 2.5 years on the market, continually improved, and customers rave about the difference in ride quality and durability which you can read in the reviews.

https://tacoma3g.com/threads/archive-garage-tacoma-hammer-hangers-soa-sua.10345/#post-50066

Eric

Last edited:
Back