• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Altitude causing diff leak?

Reddirtnaps

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Front diff regeared to 4.88 and fluid changed to 85-140 swapped and filled in Oklahoma but visiting family in Denver which has been decently cold, diff is leaking pretty decently from the vent, anyone else have this happen?

I did. Re geared and then when I changed the fluid it took WAY more than expected to get to the oil hole level. It heated up and seeped from the axle seal and breather. I'm thinking that it just has too much in it. I've not been able to find any definitive answer to whether the stated oil volume or filling to the hole is right. But It stope leaking eventually...

-M

Upvote 0
I did. Re geared and then when I changed the fluid it took WAY more than expected to get to the oil hole level. It heated up and seeped from the axle seal and breather. I'm thinking that it just has too much in it. I've not been able to find any definitive answer to whether the stated oil volume or filling to the hole is right. But It stope leaking eventually...

-M
Appreciate it. Im sure it’s overfilled. That heavier weight oil is like molasses so I’m sure there’s quite a bit extra in the haha.

Upvote 0
Back